Developing a Social Perspective to Farm Performance Analysis
This paper examines how traditional farm productivity analysis can be extended to produce a performance measure from the perspective of society. A biophysical model is used to measure inputs from the environment which are combined with conventional marketed inputs to develop an environmentally sensitive Malmquist productivity index to determine social productivity growth. The analysis is applied to data collected from selected farms in South-East Australia and includes a measure of leaching and run-off as a proxy measure of the impact the application of fertilizers has on ground and surface water. The results show measured productivity growth differs when environmental factors are considered.
|Date of creation:||27 Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood 3125|
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Fax: +61 3 5227 2655
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terrence S. Veeman, 2008. "Development, Productivity, and Sustaining Natural Capital," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 56(1), pages 13-25, 03.
- Ball, V. Eldon & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Luu, H. & Nehring, Richard F., 2004. "Incorporating Environmental Impacts in the Measurement of Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), pages -, December.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2006.
"Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), pages -, March.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2006. "Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), pages 65-83, 03.
- Ewert, Frank & van Ittersum, Martin K. & Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Andersen, Erling & Brouwer, Floor M. & Flichman, Guillermo & Heckelei, Thomas & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Ol, 2006. "Methodological concepts for integrated assessment of agricultural and environmental policies in SEAMLESS-IF," Reports 57465, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Reinhard, Stijn & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Thijssen, Geert J., 2000. "Environmental efficiency with multiple environmentally detrimental variables; estimated with SFA and DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 287-303, March.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-380, May.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Tim Coelli & Ludwig Lauwers & Guido Huylenbroeck, 2007. "Environmental efficiency measurement and the materials balance condition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 3-12, October.
- Robert G. Chambers, 2002. "Exact nonradial input, output, and productivity measurement," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 20(4), pages 751-765.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Stijn Reinhard & C.A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 1999. "Econometric Estimation of Technical and Environmental Efficiency: An Application to Dutch Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 44-60.
- S Reinhard & G Thijssen, 2000. "Nitrogen efficiency of Dutch dairy farms: a shadow cost system approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 167-186, June.
- Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2004.
"Productivity in the Australian Dairy Industry,"
Australasian Agribusiness Review,
University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 12, pages -.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Productivity in the Australian Dairy Industry," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-8, International and Development Economics.
- Carmen Fernandez & Mark F J Steel & Gary Koop, 2002.
"Multiple-output production with undesirable output: An application to nitrogen surplus in agriculture,"
ESE Discussion Papers
34, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Fernandez C. & Koop G. & Steel M.F.J., 2002. "Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 432-442, June.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002. "Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture," Econometrics 0201001, EconWPA, revised 06 Jan 2002.
- Emilio Galdeano-Gómez & José Céspedes-Lorente & Manuel Rodríguez-Rodríguez, 2006. "Productivity and Environmental Performance in Marketing Cooperatives: An Analysis of the Spanish Horticultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 479-500.
- Robert D. Weaver, 1996. "Prosocial Behavior: Private Contributions to Agriculture's Impact on the Environment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(2), pages 231-247.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1996. "Productivity Growth in APEC Countries," Working Papers 197843, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Frank M. Gollop & Gregory P. Swinand, 1998. "From Total Factor to Total Resource Productivity: An Application to Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 577-583.
- repec:ags:auagre:126559 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kwon, Oh Sang & Lee, Hyunok, 2004. "Productivity improvement in Korean rice farming: parametric and non-parametric analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages -, June.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Jena, Pradyot Ranjan, 2008. "Environmental productivity and Kuznets curve in India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 432-440, April.
- Stijn Reinhard & C. A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Analysis of Environmental Efficiency Variation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1054-1065.
- Lansink, Alfons Oude & Reinhard, Stijn, 2004. "Investigating technical efficiency and potential technological change in Dutch pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 353-367, March.
- V. Eldon Ball & Rolf Fare & Shawna Grosskopf & Richard Nehring, 2001. "Productivity of the U.S. Agricultural Sector: The Case of Undesirable Outputs," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 541-586 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graham, Mary, 2008. "Biophysical Modelling and Performance Measurement," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 6773, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dkn:econwp:eco_2008_17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xueli Tang)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.