Rainfall Variability and its Impact on Dryland Cropping in Victoria
Conventional wisdom holds that rainfall variability represents a significant source of agriculture production risk. Surprisingly, there have been very few economic analyses exploring the link between rainfall variability and agriculture production. This paper is intended to investigate the factual basis of this assumption and to inform future government policy in such areas as drought, climate change adaptation and water policy. We investigate whether rainfall variability has had an actual impact on agricultural production, specifically dryland cropping in Victorian regions during the period 1982-83 to 2004-05.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin van Ittersum & Ada Wossink, 2006. "Integrating Agronomic Principles into Production Function Specification: A Dichotomy of Growth Inputs and Facilitating Inputs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 203-214.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Barrios, Salvador & Ouattara, Bazoumana & Strobl, Eric, 2008.
"The impact of climatic change on agricultural production: Is it different for Africa?,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 287-298, August.
- Barrios, Salvador & Ouattara, Bazoumanna & Strobl, Eric, 2004. "The Impact of Climatic Change on Agricultural Production: Is it different for Africa?," MPRA Paper 6240, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Horridge, Mark & Madden, John & Wittwer, Glyn, 2005. "The impact of the 2002-2003 drought on Australia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-308, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare08:6000. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.