Do Australian woolgrowers manage price risk rationally?
Australian woolgrowers have not adopted price risk management in the last decade. This is despite a concerted effort at various times by participants in the wool industry to encourage growers to use hedging/forward selling. The explanation for the reluctance of woolgrowers to use futures market and forward pricing instruments lies not in market failure but in characteristics of wool producing farm businesses. In particular, the degree of business and financial risk and the interaction between the two helps to explain why woolgrowers do not use futures. In the context of the whole farm system, Australian woolgrowers are behaving as rational managers of wool price risk.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Wade Brorsen, 1995. "Optimal Hedge Ratios with Risk-Neutral Producers and Nonlinear Borrowing Costs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 174-181.
- Kingwell, Ross, 2000. "Price Risk Management for Australian Broad acre Farmers: some observations," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 8.
- Oscar Vergara & Keith H. Coble & Thomas O. Knight & George F. Patrick & Alan E. Baquet, 2004. "Cotton producers' choice of marketing techniques," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 465-479.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Simmons, Phil, 2002.
"Why do farmers have so little interest in futures markets?,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(1), May.
- Simmons, Phil, 2002. "Why do farmers have so little interest in futures markets?," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(1), pages 1-6, May.
- Stephen C. Gabriel & C. B. Baker, 1980. "Concepts of Business and Financial Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(3), pages 560-564.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:afbmau:122518. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.