Spatial Filtering, Model Uncertainty And The Speed Of Income Convergence In Europe
In this paper we put forward a Bayesian Model Averaging method dealing with model uncertainty in the presence of potential spatial autocorrelation. The method uses spatial filtering in order to account for different types of spatial links. We contribute to existing methods that handle spatial dependence among observations by explicitly taking care of uncertainty stemming from the choice of a particular spatial structure. Our method is applied to estimate the conditional speed of income convergence across 255 NUTS-2 European regions for the period from 1995 to 2005. We show that the choice of a spatial weight matrix - and in particular the choice of a class thereof - can have an important effect on the estimates of the parameters attached to the model covariates. We also show that estimates of the speed of income convergence across European regions depend strongly on the form of the spatial patterns which are assumed to underlie the dataset. When we take into account this dimension of model uncertainty, the posterior distribution of the speed of convergence parameter has a large probability mass around a rate of convergence of 1%, approximately half of the value which is usually reported in the literature.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 28 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Lesage & Manfred Fischer, 2008. "Spatial Growth Regressions: Model Specification, Estimation and Interpretation," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 275-304.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521898010 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X., 1996.
"Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1325-1352, June.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1994. "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1994. "Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence," Economics Working Papers 104, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, 2001.
"Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 563-576.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 1999. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 9903003, EconWPA, revised 06 Oct 2001.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 0110002, EconWPA.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000.
"Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (Bace) Approach,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
266, OECD Publishing.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin & Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller, 2004. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 813-835, September.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," NBER Working Papers 7750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jesus Crespo-Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2009.
"The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions,"
wiiw Working Papers
57, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Jes�s Crespo Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2014. "The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(1), pages 44-67, January.
- Jesús Crespo-Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2009. "The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2519, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2008. "The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions," Working Papers 2008-26, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F.J., 2008.
"On the Effect of Prior Assumptions in Bayesian Model Averaging with Applications to Growth Regression,"
6773, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 06 Jan 2008.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2007. "On the effect of prior assumptions in Bayesian model averaging with applications to growth regression," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4238, The World Bank.
- Martin Feldkircher & Stefan Zeugner, 2009. "Benchmark Priors Revisited:on Adaptive Shrinkage and the Supermodel Effect in Bayesian Model Averaging," IMF Working Papers 09/202, International Monetary Fund.
- Manfred Fischer & Claudia Stirböck, 2006. "Pan-European regional income growth and club-convergence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 693-721, December.
- Olivier Parent & James P. Lesage, 2007.
"Using the Variance Structure of the Conditional Autoregressive Spatial Specification to Model Knowledge Spillovers,"
University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series
2007-03, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Olivier Parent & James P. LeSage, 2008. "Using the variance structure of the conditional autoregressive spatial specification to model knowledge spillovers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 235-256.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2001.
"Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 381-427, February.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998. "Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging," Econometrics 9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, . "Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging," Working Papers 98-06, FEDEA.
- Carmen Fernandez & E Ley & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian models averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2006. "Spatial convergence," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 199-215, 06.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991.
"Convergence Across States and Regions,"
629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991. "Convergence across States and Regions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Jochonia S Mathunjwa & Jonathan Temple, 2006. "Convergence behaviour in exogenous growth models," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 06/590, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Convergence and the effects of spatial interaction," HWWA Discussion Papers 110, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521725200 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Olivier Parent & James P. Lesage, 2007. "Bayesian Model Averaging for Spatial Econometric Models ," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2007-02, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- James LeSage & R. Kelley Pace, 2010. "Spatial Econometrics," Book Chapters, in: Web Book of Regional Science Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University.
- Liang, Feng & Paulo, Rui & Molina, German & Clyde, Merlise A. & Berger, Jim O., 2008. "Mixtures of g Priors for Bayesian Variable Selection," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 410-423, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:japmet:v:28:y:2013:i:4:p:720-741. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.