The influence of wine attributes on region of origin equity: An analysis of the moderating effect of consumer's perceived expertise
This research addresses the interaction between the components of brand. More specifically, the authors evaluate how the region of origin as a component of a wine brand adds value to a wine purchaser. Previous research suggests that the region of origin equity is significantly moderated by the other wine attributes with which it is combined on the wine label: commercial brand, level of price, type of bottler, grape variety. The authors test whether the moderating effects depend on self-perceived consumer expertise. They use a discrete choice method to survey 1,162 European wine purchasers, about equally selected from France, Austria, Germany, and the UK. Results show that the region of origin equity is indeed significantly moderated by the other wine attributes. They also show these moderating effects are more important for consumers who perceive themselves as “more expert” than for consumers who feel they are “novices.” [EconLit citation: M310]. Â© 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 22: 323-341, 2006.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell, Andrew A & Dacin, Peter A, 1996. " The Assessment of Alternative Measures of Consumer Expertise," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(3), pages 219-39, December.
- Erdem, Tulin & Broniarczyk, Susan & Charavarti, Dipankar & Kapferer, Jean-Noel & Keane, Michael & Roberts, John & Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict & Swait, Joffre & Zettelmeyer, Florian, 1999. "Brand Equity, Consumer Learning and Choice," MPRA Paper 53022, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G¸nter Schamel & Kym Anderson, 2003. "Wine Quality and Varietal, Regional and Winery Reputations: Hedonic Prices for Australia and New Zealand," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(246), pages 357-369, 09.
- Rao, Akshay R & Monroe, Kent B, 1988. " The Moderating Effect of Prior Knowledge on Cue Utilization in Product Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 253-64, September.
- Victor V Cordell, 1992. "Effects of Consumer Preferences for Foreign Sourced Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 251-269, June.
- Keller, Kevin Lane, 2003. " Brand Synthesis: The Multidimensionality of Brand Knowledge," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 595-600, March.
- Maheswaran, Durairaj, 1994. " Country of Origin as a Stereotype: Effects of Consumer Expertise and Attribute Strength on Product Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 354-65, September.
- Park, C Whan & Mothersbaugh, David L & Feick, Lawrence, 1994. " Consumer Knowledge Assessment," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 71-82, June.
- Alba, Joseph W & Hutchinson, J Wesley, 1987. " Dimensions of Consumer Expertise," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 411-54, March.
- C Min Han & Vern Terpstra, 1988. "Country-Of-Origin Effects for Uni-National and Bi-National Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 235-255, June.
- Park, C Whan & Milberg, Sandra & Lawson, Robert, 1991. " Evaluation of Brand Extensions: The Role of Product Feature Similarity and Brand Concept Consistency," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 185-93, September.
- Paul Chao, 1989. "Export and Reverse Investment: Strategic Implications for Newly Industrialized Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(1), pages 75-91, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521788304 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:22:y:2006:i:3:p:323-341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.