Brand origin and country of manufacture influences on brand equity and the moderating role of brand typicality
This research investigates how country macro and micro images associated with both brand origin (BO) and country of manufacture (COM) impact two main dimensions of brand equity-brand image and brand quality. Whereas BO images relate positively to both dimensions of brand equity, COM images exert an impact on brand quality, not on brand image. The typicality of the brand as a representative of the country of origin moderates the impact of BO on brand equity, such that the effects of BO on brand equity are stronger when the brand is more typical. The authors explore implications for theory and practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeugner-Roth, Katharina P. & Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2010. "Advancing the country image construct: Reply to Samiee's (2009) commentary," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 446-449, April.
- Chao, Paul, 1998. "Impact of Country-of-Origin Dimensions on Product Quality and Design Quality Perceptions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-6, May.
- Martin, Ingrid M. & Eroglu, Sevgin, 1993. "Measuring a multi-dimensional construct: Country image," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 191-210, November.
- Park, C Whan & Milberg, Sandra & Lawson, Robert, 1991. " Evaluation of Brand Extensions: The Role of Product Feature Similarity and Brand Concept Consistency," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 185-93, September.
- Paul Chao, 1993. "Partitioning Country of Origin Effects: Consumer Evaluations of a Hybrid Product," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 291-306, June.
- Insch, Gary S. & McBride, J. Brad, 2004. "The impact of country-of-origin cues on consumer perceptions of product quality: A binational test of the decomposed country-of-origin construct," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 256-265, March.
- Lane Keller, Kevin & Moorthi, Y. L. R., 2003. "Branding in developing markets," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 49-59.
- Loken, Barbara & Ward, James C, 1990. " Alternative Approaches to Understanding the Determinants of Typicality," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 111-26, September.
- C Min Han & Vern Terpstra, 1988. "Country-Of-Origin Effects for Uni-National and Bi-National Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 235-255, June.
- Samiee, Saeed, 2010. "Advancing the country image construct -- A commentary essay," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 442-445, April.
- Johny K Johansson & Israel D Nebenzahl, 1986. "Multinational Production: Effect on Brand Value," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 101-126, September.
- Victor V Cordell, 1992. "Effects of Consumer Preferences for Foreign Sourced Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 251-269, June.
- Ravi Pappu & Pascale G Quester & Ray W Cooksey, 2007. "Country image and consumer-based brand equity: relationships and implications for international marketing," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(5), pages 726-745, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:64:y:2011:i:9:p:973-978. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.