Advancing the country image construct
In today's globalized markets a favorable country-of-origin image (CoI) has a considerable impact on consumers' evaluation of products originating from different countries and therefore influences their subsequent buying decisions. The current paper seeks to extend our conceptual understanding of the nature and functioning of the CoI construct. The aim is threefold, namely to provide a succinct state-of-the-art picture of country image research in international marketing, to contribute to a better measurement of the country image construct, and, finally, to develop an agenda for future research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Astous, Alain & Boujbel, Lilia, 2007. "Positioning countries on personality dimensions: Scale development and implications for country marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 231-239, March.
- Heslop, Louise A. & Papadopoulos, Nicolas & Dowdles, Melissa & Wall, Marjorie & Compeau, Deborah, 2004. "Who controls the purse strings: A study of consumers' and retail buyers' reactions in an America's FTA environment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(10), pages 1177-1188, October.
- Pereira, Arun & Hsu, Chin-Chun & Kundu, Sumit K., 2005. "Country-of-origin image: measurement and cross-national testing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 103-106, January.
- Ravi Pappu & Pascale G Quester & Ray W Cooksey, 2007. "Country image and consumer-based brand equity: relationships and implications for international marketing," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(5), pages 726-745, September.
- Warren J Bilkey & Erik Nes, 1982. "Country-of-Origin Effects on Product Evaluations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(1), pages 89-100, March.
- Ravi Parameswaran & Attila Yaprak, 1987. "A Cross-National Comparison of Consumer Research Measures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(1), pages 35-49, March.
- N L Reynolds & A C Simintiras & A Diamantopoulos, 2003. "Theoretical justification of sampling choices in international marketing research: key issues and guidelines for researchers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 80-89, January.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Mano, Haim & Oliver, Richard L, 1993. " Assessing the Dimensionality and Structure of the Consumption Experience: Evaluation, Feeling, and Satisfaction," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(3), pages 451-66, December.
- Martin S Roth & Jean B Romeo, 1992. "Matching Product Category and Country Image Perceptions: A Framework for Managing Country-of-Origin Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(3), pages 477-497, September.
- Hosany, Sameer & Ekinci, Yuksel & Uysal, Muzaffer, 2006. "Destination image and destination personality: An application of branding theories to tourism places," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 638-642, May.
- McGee, Lynn W. & Spiro, Rosann L., 1991. "Salesperson and product country-of-origin effects on attitudes and intentions to purchase," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 21-32, January.
- Richins, Marsha L, 1997. " Measuring Emotions in the Consumption Experience," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 127-46, September.
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Baumgartner, Hans, 1998. " Assessing Measurement Invariance in Cross-National Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(1), pages 78-90, June.
- Peeter W J Verlegh, 2007. "Home country bias in product evaluation: the complementary roles of economic and socio-psychological motives," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(3), pages 361-373, May.
- Klaus Schoefer & Adamantios Diamantopoulos, 2008. "Measuring experienced emotions during service recovery encounters: construction and assessment of the ESRE scale," Service Business, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 65-81, March.
- Knight, Gary A. & Spreng, Richard A. & Yaprak, Attila, 2003. "Cross-national development and validation of an international business measurement scale: the COISCALE," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 581-599, October.
- Martin, Ingrid M. & Eroglu, Sevgin, 1993. "Measuring a multi-dimensional construct: Country image," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 191-210, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:62:y:2009:i:7:p:726-740. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.