The role of country-of-origin, ethnocentrism and animosity in promoting consumer trust. The moderating role of familiarity
The objective of this study is to present empirical evidence on the extent to which socio-psychological variables (ethnocentrism and animosity) and the reputation of firms associated to a country-of-origin (COO) are related to an important relational exchange factor (trust). Furthermore, the study tests the moderating effects of familiarity. Data were collected from 202 automobile owners in a large Spanish region. Path and multi-group analyses were performed using a structural equation modelling approach. This paper investigates the effects of reputation of firms associated to a COO and animosity on trust, which have not been commonly used as a dependent variable of these concepts before. Moreover, this study explores the moderating role of familiarity. This study supports the view that reputation of firms associated to a COO can safeguard international transactions and create trust in foreign firms, and thus may decrease due to interrelated emotional consumer reactions such as animosity and ethnocentrism.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Ruyter, Ko & van Birgelen, Marcel & Wetzels, Martin, 1998. "Consumer ethnocentrism in international services marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 185-202, April.
- Michael Spence, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-374.
- Alba, Joseph W & Hutchinson, J Wesley, 1987. " Dimensions of Consumer Expertise," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 411-54, March.
- Dimara, Efthalia & Petrou, Anastasia & Skuras, Dimitris, 2004. "Agricultural policy for quality and producers' evaluations of quality marketing indicators: a Greek case study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 485-506, October.
- Maheswaran, Durairaj, 1994. " Country of Origin as a Stereotype: Effects of Consumer Expertise and Attribute Strength on Product Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 354-65, September.
- C Min Han & Vern Terpstra, 1988. "Country-Of-Origin Effects for Uni-National and Bi-National Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 235-255, June.
- Gruen, Thomas W., 1995. "The outcome set of relationship marketing in consumer markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 447-469.
- Park, C Whan & Lessig, V Parker, 1981. " Familiarity and Its Impact on Consumer Decision Biases and Heuristics," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 223-30, September.
- Chisik, Richard, 2003.
"Export industry policy and reputational comparative advantage,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 423-451, March.
- Richard Chisik, 2010. "Export Industry Policy and Reputational Comparative Advantage," Working Papers 017, Ryerson University, Department of Economics.
- Emons, Winand, 1988. "Warranties, moral hazard, and the lemons problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 16-33, October.
- Hong, Sung-Tai & Wyer, Robert S, Jr, 1990. " Determinants of Product Evaluation: Effects of the Time Interval between Knowledge of a Product's Country of Origin and Information about Its Specific Attributes," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 277-88, December.
- Kreps, David M. & Wilson, Robert, 1982.
"Reputation and imperfect information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 253-279, August.
- Victor V Cordell, 1992. "Effects of Consumer Preferences for Foreign Sourced Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 251-269, June.
- Jill Gabrielle Klein, 2002. "Us Versus Them, or Us Versus Everyone? Delineating Consumer Aversion to Foreign Goods," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 345-363, June.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- Boulding, William & Kirmani, Amna, 1993. " A Consumer-Side Experimental Examination of Signaling Theory: Do Consumers Perceive Warranties as Signals of Quality?," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 111-23, June.
- Hong, Sung-Tai & Wyer, Robert S, Jr, 1989. " Effects of Country-of-Origin and Product-Attribute Information on Product Evaluation: An Information Processing Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 175-87, September.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar G. & Khare, Virginie Pioche & Gross, Andrew C. & Scherer, Robert F., 2005. "An application of the consumer ethnocentrism model to French consumers," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 325-344, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:19:y:2010:i:1:p:34-45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.