Media-specific returns to generic advertising: The case of catfish
A key decision faced by managers of generic advertising programs is the allocation of the budget among media (e.g., television, radio, print). In this article, the economics of media allocation are addressed using catfish as a case study. The hypothesis that demand responds equally to all media was rejected. Further analysis indicated that the media with relatively modest expenditures (newspapers and television) had no reliable effect on demand, which suggests that scale is important. Losses sustained from the apparently ineffectual media were more than offset by gains from the effective media (magazines and radio), so that returns overall, net of opportunity cost, were positive. The historical media allocation, however, was inefficient in the sense that a different media mix would have resulted in greater industry profits. © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 1995. "Price Bargaining Without Supply Control," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(1), April.
- Capps, Oral & Schmitz, John D., 1991. "Effect of Generic Advertising on the Demand for Fluid Milk: The Case of the Texas Market Order," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 131-140, December.
- Henry Kinnucan & Evelyn Belleza, 1991. "Advertising Evaluation and Measurement Error: The Case of Fluid Milk in Ontario," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(2), pages 283-297, 07.
- Hui-Shung Chang & Henry W. Kinnucan, 1991. "Economic effects of an advertising excise tax," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 165-173.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1990. "Effects Of Generic Advertising On Perceptions And Behavior: The Case Of Catfish," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Schmitz, John D., 1991. "Effect Of Generic Advertising On The Demand For Fluid Milk: The Case Of The Texas Market Order," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Mitchell, Douglas W. & Speaker, Paul J., 1986. "A simple, flexible distributed lag technique : The polynomial inverse lag," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 329-340, April.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Reberte, J. Carlos & Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M., 1996. "An Ex Post Evaluation of Generic Egg Advertising in the U.S," Research Bulletins 122835, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Robert P. Leone, 1995. "Generalizing What Is Known About Temporal Aggregation and Advertising Carryover," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages 141-150.
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 1995. "Price Bargaining Without Supply Control," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 119-127, April.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1990. "Effects of Generic Advertising on Perceptions and Behavior: The Case of Catfish," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 137-151, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:15:y:1999:i:1:p:81-99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.