Advertising Traded Goods
Nerlove and Waugh's theory of cooperative (generic) advertising is extended to include tax shifting, cost sharing, and trade. Comparative-static analysis indicates that trade reduces the incentive to promote in the domestic market, and this is true whether the industry inquestion is a net exporter or a net importer. The theory is applied to California egg advertising to demonstrate utility and to highlight the importance of including trade relationships in advertising benefit-cost studies.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goddard, Ellen W. & Conboy, Paula, 1993. "Optimal International Promotion Expenditure for Differentiated Products," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(01), April.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Todd M. Schmit & J. Carlos Reberte & Harry M. Kaiser, 1997.
"An economic analysis of generic egg advertising in California, 1985-1995,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 365-373.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Reberte, J. Carlos & Kaiser, Harry M., 1996. "An Economic Analysis of Generic Egg Advertising in California, 1985-1995," Research Bulletins 122834, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- H. W. Kinnucan, 1996. "A Note On Measuring Returns To Generic Advertising In Interrelated Markets," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 261-267.
- Hui-Shung Chang & Henry W. Kinnucan, 1991. "Economic effects of an advertising excise tax," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 165-173.
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 1997. "Middlemen behaviour and generic advertising rents in competitive interrelated industries," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(2), June.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Christian, Jason E., 1997. "A Method For Measuring Returns To Nonprice Export Promotion With Application To Almonds," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Ferrero, Jennifer L. & Boon, Leen & Kaiser, Harry M. & Forker, Olan D., 1996. "Annotated Bibliography of Generic Commodity Promotion Research," Research Bulletins 122819, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)