Caste, Female Labor Supply, and the Gender Wage Gap in India: Boserup Revisited
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Kanika, Mahajan & Ramaswami, Bharat, 2015. "Caste, Female Labor Supply and the Gender Wage Gap in India: Boserup Revisited," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212218, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kanika Mahajan & Bharat Ramaswami, 2015. "Caste, female labor supply and the gender wage gap in India: Boserup revisited," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 15-02, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
References listed on IDEAS
- Somik Vinay Lall & Sanjoy Chakravorty, 2005. "Industrial Location and Spatial Inequality: Theory and Evidence from India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 47-68, February.
- Doss, Cheryl R., 1999. "Twenty-Five Years Of Research On Women Farmers In Africa: Lessons And Implications For Agricultural Research Institutions; With An Annotated Bibliography," Economics Program Papers 23720, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hansen, Christian, 2008. "The reduced form: A simple approach to inference with weak instruments," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 68-71, July.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2003.
"Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 106-144, January.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2001. "Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap," NBER Working Papers 8200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lupin Rahman & Vijayendra Rao, 2004. "The Determinants of Gender Equity in India: Examining Dyson and Moore's Thesis with New Data," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 30(2), pages 239-268, June.
- Daron Acemoglu & David H. Autor & David Lyle, 2004.
"Women, War, and Wages: The Effect of Female Labor Supply on the Wage Structure at Midcentury,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(3), pages 497-551, June.
- Daron Acemoglu & David H. Autor & David Lyle, 2002. "Women, War and Wages: The Effect of Female Labor Supply on the Wage Structure at Mid-Century," NBER Working Papers 9013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R., 1996. "Male-female differences in agricultural productivity: Methodological issues and empirical evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1579-1595, October.
- Jajati Keshari Parida & S Madheswaran, 2010. "Spatial Heterogeneity and Population Mobility in India," Working Papers 234, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Rao, V.M., 1972. ""Agricultural Wages in India" -A Reliability Analysis," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 1-26.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Somanathan, Rohini, 2007.
"The political economy of public goods: Some evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 287-314, March.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Rohini Somanathan, 2004. "The political economy of public goods: Some evidence from India," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 04-17, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Seema Jayachandran, 2006.
"Selling Labor Low: Wage Responses to Productivity Shocks in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(3), pages 538-575, June.
- Seema Jayachandran, 2005. "Selling Labor Low: Wage Responses to Productivity Shocks in Developing Countries," UCLA Economics Online Papers 370, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kristin Mammen & Christina Paxson, 2000. "Women's Work and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 141-164, Fall.
- Rajaraman, Indira, 1986. "Offered wage and recipient attribute : Wage Functions for Rural Labour in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 179-195, November.
- Kaivan Munshi & Mark R. Rosenzweig, 2005.
"Why is Mobility in India so Low? Social Insurance, Inequality, and Growth,"
CID Working Papers
121, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Kaivan Munshi & Mark Rosenzweig, 2009. "Why is Mobility in India so Low? Social Insurance, Inequality, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 14850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R, 1978. "Rural Wages, Labor Supply, and Land Reform: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 847-861, December.
- Sunil Kanwar, 2004. "Seasonality and Wage Responsiveness in a Developing Agrarian Economy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(2), pages 189-204, May.
- Siwan Anderson, 2011. "Caste as an Impediment to Trade," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 239-263, January.
- Mitra, Arup & Murayama, Mayumi, 2008. "Rural to Urban Migration: A District Level Analysis for India," IDE Discussion Papers 137, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Mark Aldrich, 1989. "The Gender Gap in Earnings during World War II: New Evidence," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 42(3), pages 415-429, April.
- Cameron, Lisa A & Dowling, J Malcolm & Worswick, Christopher, 2001. "Education and Labor Market Participation of Women in Asia: Evidence from Five Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(3), pages 461-477, April.
- Richard Palmer-Jones & Kunal Sen, 2003. "What has luck got to do with it? A regional analysis of poverty and agricultural growth in rural India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:102:y:2018:i:c:p:331-344 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deshpande, Ashwini & Goel, Deepti & Khanna, Shantanu, 2018.
"Bad Karma or Discrimination? Male–Female Wage Gaps Among Salaried Workers in India,"
Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 331-344.
- Ashwini Deshpande & Deepti Goel & Shantanu Khanna, 2015. "Bad Karma Or Discrimination? Male-Female Wage Gaps Among Salaried Workers In India," Working papers 243, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Deshpande, Ashwini & Goel, Deepti & Khanna, Shantanu, 2015. "Bad Karma or Discrimination? Male-Female Wage Gaps among Salaried Workers in India," IZA Discussion Papers 9485, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Ashwini Deshpande & Deepti Goel & Shantanu Khanna, 2015. "Bad Karma or Discrimination? Male-Female Wage Gaps among Salaried Workers in India," Working Papers id:6883, eSocialSciences.
- Rao, Nitya & Pradhan, Mamata & Roy, Devesh, 2017. "Gender justice and food security in India: A review," IFPRI discussion papers 1600, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rada, Nicholas E. & Schimmelpfennig, David E., 2015. "Propellers of Agricultural Productivity in India," Economic Research Report 262202, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Mahajan, Kanika, 2017. "Rainfall Shocks and the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from Indian Agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 156-172.
- Saumik Paul & Vengadeshvaran Sarma, 2013. "The Livelihood Effects of Industrialization on Displaced Households: Evidence from Falta Special Economic Zone," Discussion Papers 13/09, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Paul, Saumik & Sarma, Vengadeshvaran, 2013. "The livelihood effects of industrialization on displaced households: Evidence from falta special economic zone, West Bengal," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-083, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
More about this item
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J43 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Agricultural Labor Markets
- O15 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:ecdecc:doi:10.1086/689352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.