Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina
In 2001–2, Argentina experienced a wrenching economic crisis. Plan Jefes, implemented in May 2002, was Argentina’s institutional response to the increase in unemployment and poverty triggered by the crisis. The program provided a safety net and appears to have protected some families against indigence. Despite this success, the continued existence of the program, which provides benefits to eligible unemployed individuals for an unlimited duration, may have unappealing consequences. Reliance on the plan may reduce the incentive to search for work and in the long run may damage individual employability and perpetuate poverty. Motivated by these concerns, this article examines the effect of participating in Plan Jefes on the probability of exiting unemployment. Regardless of the data set, the specification and the empirical approach, the article shows that Plan enrollees are at least 14 percentage points less likely to transit to employment as compared to individuals who applied but did not join the Plan. The effect of the program tends to be larger for females, and—over time—the program becomes increasingly feminized. Prima facie, the estimates suggest that programs such as Plan Jefes need to reconsider the balance between providing a safety net and dulling job-search incentives.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1997.
"Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice,"
Working Paper Series
1997:25, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," Papers 1997-25, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 380, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Carling, Kenneth & Holmlund, Bertil & Vejsiu, Altin, 2001.
"Do Benefit Cuts Boost Job Finding? Swedish Evidence from the 1990s,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(474), pages 766-90, October.
- Kenneth Carling & Bertil Holmlund & Altin Vejsiu, 2000. "Do Benefit Cuts Boost Job Findings? Swedish Evidence From the 1990s," CESifo Working Paper Series 365, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carling, K. & Holmlund, B. & Vejsiu, A., 1999. "Do Benefit Cuts Boost Job Findings? Swedish Evidence from the 1990s," Papers 1999:20, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Carling, Kenneth & Holmlund, Bertil & Vejsiu, Altin, 1999. "Do Benefit Cuts Boost Job Findings? Swedish Evidence from the 1990s," Working Paper Series 1999:20, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Carling, Kenneth & Holmlund, Bertil & Vejsiu, Altin, 1999. "Do benefit cuts boost job findings? Swedish evidence from the 1990s," Working Paper Series 1999:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- McKenzie, David J., 2003. "How do Households Cope with Aggregate Shocks? Evidence from the Mexican Peso Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1179-1199, July.
- Gabriela Inchauste & Ana Corbacho & Mercedes Garcia-Escribano, 2003.
"Argentina; Macroeconomic Crisis and Household Vulnerability,"
IMF Working Papers
03/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Ana Corbacho & Mercedes Garcia-Escribano & Gabriela Inchauste, 2007. "Argentina: Macroeconomic Crisis and Household Vulnerability ," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 92-106, 02.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Bruce D. Meyer, 1988.
"The Impact of the Potential Duration of Unemployment Benefits on the Duration of Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
2741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Meyer, Bruce D., 1990. "The impact of the potential duration of unemployment benefits on the duration of unemployment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 45-72, February.
- Lawrence Katz & Bruce Meyer, 1988. "The Impact of the Potential Duration of Unemployment Benefits on the Duration of Unemployment," Working Papers 621, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- James P. Smith & Duncan Thomas & Elizabeth Frankenberg & Kathleen Beegle, 2000.
"Wages, Employment and Economic Shocks: Evidence from Indonesia,"
00-07, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Duncan Thomas & James P. Smith & Kathleen Beegle & Graciela Teruel & Elizabeth Frankenberg, 2002. "Wages, employment and economic shocks: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 161-193.
- Smith, J.P. & Thomas, D. & Frankenberg, E. & Beegle, K., 2000. "Wages, Employment and Economic Shocks: Evidence from Indonesia," Papers 00-07, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- David Card & Phillip B. Levine, 1998.
"Extended Benefits and the Duration of UI Spells: Evidence from the New Jersey Extended Benefit Program,"
NBER Working Papers
6714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & Levine, Phillip B., 2000. "Extended benefits and the duration of UI spells: evidence from the New Jersey extended benefit program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 107-138, October.
- Sebastian Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001.
"Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
476, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sebasti=E1n Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Labor and Demography 0012002, EconWPA.
- Sebastian Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Working Papers 40, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Dec 2001.
- Sebasti�n Galiani and Hugo A. Hopenhayn., 2000. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C00-117, University of California at Berkeley.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Roed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2005. "Unemployment duration and economic incentives--a quasi random-assignment approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1799-1825, October.
- van Ours, J.C. & van den Berg, G., 1997. "Eyeballing state dependence and unobserved heterogeneity in aggregate unemployment duration data," Other publications TiSEM 123b1d37-4898-4b05-a85b-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Martina Lubyova & Jan van Ours, 1998. "Work incentives and other effects of the transition to social assistance: Evidence from the Slovak Republic," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1/2), pages 121-153.
- Bruce Meyer, 2002. "Unemployment and workers' compensation programmes: rationale, design, labour supply and income support ," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(1), pages 1-49, March.
- Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, 2006. "El diferencial entre las tasas de desempleo de hombres y mujeres en Argentina," Working Papers 2006-08, FEDEA.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages,"
546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Vella, Francis, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator for Simultaneous Models with Censored Endogenous Regressors,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(2), pages 441-57, May.
- Vella, F., 1989. "A Simple Estimator For Simultaneous Models With Censored Endogenous Regressors," RCER Working Papers 199, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2003.
"Social protection in a crisis - Argentina's Plan Jefes y Jefas,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3165, The World Bank.
- Emanuela Galasso & Martin Ravallion, 2004. "Social Protection in a Crisis: Argentina's Plan Jefes y Jefas," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(3), pages 367-399.
- Gyula Nagy & John Micklewright, 1998. "Unemployment assistance in Hungary," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1/2), pages 155-175.
- McKenzie, David J, 2004. "Aggregate Shocks and Urban Labor Market Responses: Evidence from Argentina's Financial Crisis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 719-58, July.
- Peter R. Fallon & Robert E. B. Lucas, 2002.
"The Impact of Financial Crises on Labor Markets, Household Incomes, and Poverty: A Review of Evidence,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 17(1), pages 21-45.
- Peter R. Fallon & Robert E. B. Lucas, 2000. "The Impact of Financial Crises on Labor Markets, Household Incomes and Poverty: A Review of Evidence," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 103, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Federico Cerimedo, 2004. "Duración del Desempleo y Ciclo Económico en la Argentina," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0008, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin Wodon, 2007.
"Risk-adjusted poverty in Argentina: measurement and determinants,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 1189-1214.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin Wodon, 2003. "Risk-adjusted poverty in Argentina: measurement and determinants," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6550, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 1977. "Unemployment insurance and job search decisions," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(4), pages 505-517, July.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 1998.
"Estimating the Labor Market Impact of Voluntary Military Service Using Social Security Data on Military Applicants,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 249-288, March.
- Joshua D. Angrist, 1995. "Estimating the Labor Market Impact of Voluntary Military Service Using Social Security Data on Military Applicants," NBER Working Papers 5192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Carlos GarcÌa-Serrano, 2004. "The Relationship between Unemployment Benefits and Re-employment Probabilities: Evidence from Spain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(2), pages 239-260, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:ecdecc:doi:10.1086/660004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.