Is Informal Sector Work an Alternative to Workfare Benefits? The Case of Pre-program Expansion and Economic Crisis
Limited availability of workfare programs and unemployment insurance and a large informal sector are features of the Argentine labor market at the outset of the 2001 economic crisis. This paper tests the hypothesis whether informal work is an alternative to workfare participation before a large-scale program expansion took place. Results from the propensity score matching indicate that observable characteristics of informal low-income workers and current workfare participants are significantly different. However, within these groups, it is possible to identify subgroups that exhibit similar observable characteristics. This indicates that only a subset of the individuals sees workfare and informal sector work as substitutable alternatives.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1363-6669|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1363-6669|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pratap, Sangeeta & Quintin, Erwan, 2006. "Are labor markets segmented in developing countries? A semiparametric approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1817-1841, October.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Jeffrey Smith, 2000.
"A Critical Survey of Empirical Methods for Evaluating Active Labor Market Policies,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 136(III), pages 247-268, September.
- Jeffrey Smith, 2000. "A Critical Survey of Empirical Methods for Evaluating Active Labor Market Policies," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20006, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Iturriza, A. & Bedi, A.S. & Sparrow, R.A., 2007.
"Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina,"
ISS Working Papers - General Series
18747, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Ana Iturriza & Arjun S. Bedi & Robert Sparrow, 2011. "Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages 811 - 837.
- Iturriza, Ana & Bedi, Arjun S. & Sparrow, Robert, 2008. "Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina," IZA Discussion Papers 3579, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bedi, Arjun S. & Iturriza, Ana & Sparrow, Robert, 2009. "Unemployment Assistance and Transition to Employment in Argentina," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Frankfurt a.M. 2009 1, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005.
"Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Jyotsna Jalan & Martin Ravallion, 2000.
"Estimating the Benefit Incidence of an Antipoverty Program by Propensity Score Matching,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0873, Econometric Society.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 2003. "Estimating the Benefit Incidence of an Antipoverty Program by Propensity-Score Matching," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 19-30, January.
- Almeida, Rita K. & Galasso, Emanuela, 2007.
"Jump-Starting Self-Employment? Evidence among Welfare Participants in Argentina,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2902, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Almeida, Rita & Galasso, Emanuela, 2007. "Jump-starting self-employment ? Evidence among welfare participants in Argentina," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4270, The World Bank.
- Leonardo Gasparini, 2001.
"Microeconometric decompositions of aggregate variables. An application to labor informality in Argentina,"
- L. C. Gasparini, 2002. "Microeconometric decompositions of aggregate variables: an application to labour informality in Argentina," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2257-2266.
- Milan Vodopivec, 2004. "Income Support for the Unemployed : Issues and Options," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14922.
- Pablo D. López Zadicoff & Jorge A. Paz, 2003. "El Programa Jefes de Hogar. Eligibilidad, participación y trabajo," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 242, Universidad del CEMA.
- Maloney, William, 2003.
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2965, The World Bank.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1992. "Workfare versus Welfare Incentive Arguments for Work Requirements in Poverty-Alleviation Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 249-61, March.
- Indermit Gill & Claudio E. Montenegro & Dorte Domeland, 2002. "Crafting Labor Policy : Techniques and Lessons from Latin America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15245.
- Deepa Narayan & Patti Petesch, 2002. "Voices of the Poor : From Many Lands," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14053.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:rdevec:v:16:y:2012:i:4:p:579-593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.