Benefiting from economic crisis? Strategic orientation effects, trade-offs, and configurations with resource availability on SME performance
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Atul Nerkar & Peter W. Roberts, 2004. "Technological and product‐market experience and the success of new product introductions in the pharmaceutical industry," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(8‐9), pages 779-799, August.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1998. "An examination of the substitutability of founders human and financial capital in emerging business ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 353-369, September.
- Lettice, Fiona & Tschida, Markus & Forstenlechner, Ingo, 2014. "Managing in an economic crisis: The role of market orientation in an international law firm," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2693-2700.
- Liu, Yi & Li, Yuan & Xue, Jiaqi, 2011. "Ownership, strategic orientation and internationalization in emerging markets," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 381-393, July.
- Slater, Stanley F. & Narver, John C., 2000. "The Positive Effect of a Market Orientation on Business Profitability: A Balanced Replication," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 69-73, April.
- Yuan Li & Zelong Wei & Yi Liu, 2010. "Strategic Orientations, Knowledge Acquisition, and Firm Performance: The Perspective of the Vendor in Cross‐Border Outsourcing," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(8), pages 1457-1482, December.
- Boso, Nathaniel & Story, Vicky M. & Cadogan, John W., 2013. "Entrepreneurial orientation, market orientation, network ties, and performance: Study of entrepreneurial firms in a developing economy," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 708-727.
- Lumpkin, G. T. & Dess, Gregory G., 2001. "Linking two dimensions of entrepreneurial orientation to firm performance: The moderating role of environment and industry life cycle," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 429-451, September.
- Ennen, Edgar & Richter, Ansgar, 2009. "The Whole Is More Than the Sum of Its Parts - Or Is It? A Review of the Empirical Literature on Complementarities in Organizations," MPRA Paper 15666, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ho, Joanne & Plewa, Carolin & Lu, Vinh Nhat, 2016. "Examining strategic orientation complementarity using multiple regression analysis and fuzzy set QCA," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 2199-2205.
- Robert E. Morgan & Pierre Berthon, 2008. "Market Orientation, Generative Learning, Innovation Strategy and Business Performance Inter‐Relationships in Bioscience Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(8), pages 1329-1353, December.
- Yuan Li & Zelong Wei & Yi Liu, 2010. "Strategic Orientations, Knowledge Acquisition, and Firm Performance: The Perspective of the Vendor in Cross-Border Outsourcing," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(s2), pages 1457-1482, December.
- Pearce II, John A. & Michael, Steven C., 2006. "Strategies to prevent economic recessions from causing business failure," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 201-209.
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Thoma, Grid, 2007. "Institutional complementarity and inventive performance in nano science and technology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 813-831, July.
- Kwaku Atuahene-Gima & Anthony Ko, 2001. "An Empirical Investigation of the Effect of Market Orientation and Entrepreneurship Orientation Alignment on Product Innovation," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 54-74, February.
- Wiklund, Johan & Shepherd, Dean, 2005. "Entrepreneurial orientation and small business performance: a configurational approach," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-91, January.
- Mau, Vladimir & Ulyukaev, Alexey, 2015. "Global crisis and challenges for Russian economic development," Russian Journal of Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 4-29.
- Mau, Vladimir & Ulyukaev, Sergey, 2015. "Global Crisis and the Economic Policy Challenges of Modern Russia," Published Papers dok23, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration.
- Steven W. Bradley & Dean A. Shepherd & Johan Wiklund, 2011. "The Importance of Slack for New Organizations Facing ‘Tough’ Environments," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48, pages 1071-1097, July.
- Meyer, Klaus E., 2015. "Context in Management Research in Emerging Economies," Management and Organization Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 369-377, September.
- Jesús Cambra-Fierro & Susan Hart & Yolanda Polo-Redondo & Ana Fuster-Mur, 2012. "Market and learning orientation in times of turbulence: relevance questioned? An analysis using a multi-case study," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 855-871, April.
- N. Venkatraman, 1989. "Strategic Orientation of Business Enterprises: The Construct, Dimensionality, and Measurement," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(8), pages 942-962, August.
- Paul D. Ellis, 2006. "Market Orientation and Performance: A Meta‐Analysis and Cross‐National Comparisons," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(5), pages 1089-1107, July.
- Harald Strotmann, 2007. "Entrepreneurial Survival," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 87-104, January.
- Lin Song & Li Jing, 2017. "Strategic orientation and performance of new ventures: empirical studies based on entrepreneurial activities in China," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 989-1012, December.
- Yan Ling & Franz W. Kellermanns, 2010. "The Effects of Family Firm Specific Sources of TMT Diversity: The Moderating Role of Information Exchange Frequency," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 322-344, March.
- Deutscher, Franziska & Zapkau, Florian B. & Schwens, Christian & Baum, Matthias & Kabst, Ruediger, 2016. "Strategic orientations and performance: A configurational perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 849-861.
- Bhuian, Shahid N. & Menguc, Bulent & Bell, Simon J., 2005. "Just entrepreneurial enough: the moderating effect of entrepreneurship on the relationship between market orientation and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 9-17, January.
- Chanchai Tangpong & Michael Abebe & Zonghui Li, 2015. "A Temporal Approach to Retrenchment and Successful Turnaround in Declining Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(5), pages 647-677, July.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
- Paul M. Vaaler & Gerry McNamara, 2004. "Crisis and Competition in Expert Organizational Decision Making: Credit-Rating Agencies and Their Response to Turbulence in Emerging Economies," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(6), pages 687-703, December.
- Jeffrey G. Covin & Dennis P. Slevin, 1989. "Strategic management of small firms in hostile and benign environments," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 75-87, January.
- Viral V. Acharya & Hyun Song Shin & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2013. "A Theory of Arbitrage Capital," Review of Corporate Finance Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(1), pages 62-97.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Covin, Jeffrey G., 1995. "Contextual influences on the corporate entrepreneurship-performance relationship: A longitudinal analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 43-58, January.
- Juha Soininen & Kaisu Puumalainen & Helena Sjögrén & Pasi Syrjä, 2012. "The impact of global economic crisis on SMEs: Does entrepreneurial orientation matter?," Management Research Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(10), pages 927-944, September.
- Anders Skrondal & Petter Laake, 2001. "Regression among factor scores," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 563-575, December.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Gimeno-Gascon, F. Javier & Woo, Carolyn Y., 1994. "Initial human and financial capital as predictors of new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 371-395, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jee Yong Chung & Woojin Yoon, 2020. "Technological capabilities and internationalization of high‐tech ventures: The moderating role of strategic orientations," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 41(8), pages 1462-1472, December.
- Osiyevskyy, Oleksiy & Shirokova, Galina & Ritala, Paavo, 2020. "Exploration and exploitation in crisis environment: Implications for level and variability of firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 227-239.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Shirokova, G. & Beliaeva, T. & Gafforova, E., 2016. "Strategic orientations during economic crisis: Stay focused or adopt a broader strategic direction?," Working Papers 6444, Graduate School of Management, St. Petersburg State University.
- Wales, William & Beliaeva, Tatiana & Shirokova, Galina & Stettler, Tatiana R. & Gupta, Vishal K., 2020. "Orienting toward sales growth? Decomposing the variance attributed to three fundamental organizational strategic orientations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 109(C), pages 498-510.
- Li Peng & Yuan Li & Marc Essen & Mike W. Peng, 2020. "Institutions, resources, and strategic orientations: A meta-analysis," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 499-529, June.
- Morgan, Todd & Anokhin, Sergey Alexander, 2020. "The joint impact of entrepreneurial orientation and market orientation in new product development: Studying firm and environmental contingencies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 129-138.
- Andreas Rauch & Johan Wiklund & G.T. Lumpkin & Michael Frese, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance: An Assessment of past Research and Suggestions for the Future," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 33(3), pages 761-787, May.
- Samuel Adomako, 2018. "The Moderating Effects Of Adaptive And Intellectual Resource Capabilities On The Relationship Between Entrepreneurial Orientation And Financial Performance," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 22(03), pages 1-35, April.
- Feng, Cong & Patel, Pankaj C. & Xiang, Kexin, 2020. "The well-trodden path: Complementing market and entrepreneurial orientation with a strategic emphasis to influence IPO survival in the United States," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 370-385.
- Farhad Uddin Ahmed & Louis Brennan, 2019. "Performance determinants of early internationalizing firms: The role of international entrepreneurial orientation," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 389-424, September.
- Galina Shirokova & Liudmila Ivvonen & Elena Gafforova, 2019. "Strategic Entrepreneurship in Russia during Economic Crisis," Foresight and STI Governance (Foresight-Russia till No. 3/2015), National Research University Higher School of Economics, vol. 13(3), pages 62-76.
- Yongbin Zhao & Yuan Li & Soo Hoon Lee & Long Bo Chen, 2011. "Entrepreneurial Orientation, Organizational Learning, and Performance: Evidence from China," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 35(2), pages 293-317, March.
- Bhattacharya, Abhi & Misra, Shekhar & Sardashti, Hanieh, 2019. "Strategic orientation and firm risk," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 509-527.
- Chahal, Hardeep & Gupta, Mahesh & Lonial, Subhash & Raina, Swati, 2019. "Operational flexibility-entrepreneurial orientation relationship: Effects and consequences," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 154-167.
- Agnes Asemokha & Jackson Musona & Lasse Torkkeli & Sami Saarenketo, 2019. "Business model innovation and entrepreneurial orientation relationships in SMEs: Implications for international performance," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 425-453, September.
- Erik Lundmark & Anna Krzeminska & Dean A. Shepherd, 2019. "Images of Entrepreneurship: Exploring Root Metaphors and Expanding Upon Them," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 43(1), pages 138-170, January.
- Ari Jantunen & Kaisu Puumalainen & Sami Saarenketo & Kalevi Kyläheiko, 2005. "Entrepreneurial Orientation, Dynamic Capabilities and International Performance," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 223-243, September.
- Natasha Evers & Gabriela Gliga & Alex Rialp-Criado, 2019. "Strategic orientation pathways in international new ventures and born global firms—Towards a research agenda," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 287-304, September.
- Dev K. Dutta & Vishal K. Gupta & Xiujian Chen, 2016. "A Tale of Three Strategic Orientations: A Moderated-Mediation Framework of the Impact of Entrepreneurial Orientation, Market Orientation, and Learning Orientation on Firm Performance," Journal of Enterprising Culture (JEC), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 24(03), pages 313-348, September.
- Nida Nazar & Sara Ravan Ramzani & Temoor Anjum & Imran Ahmed Shahzad, 2018. "Impact of Entrepreneurial Orientation of Bank Performance in Pakistan," Business Management and Strategy, Macrothink Institute, vol. 9(1), pages 290-309, December.
- Haibin Yang & Gregory G. Dess & James A. Robins, 2019. "Does entrepreneurial orientation always pay off? The role of resource mobilization within and across organizations," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 565-591, September.
- Teresa Felgueira & Ricardo Gouveia Rodrigues, 2020. "I-ENTRE-U: an individual entrepreneurial orientation scale for teachers and researchers in higher education institutions," International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing, Springer;International Association of Public and Non-Profit Marketing, vol. 17(1), pages 1-21, March.
More about this item
KeywordsEntrepreneurial orientation; Market orientation; Financial capital; Economic crisis; Small-to-medium-sized enterprises; Russia;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:intemj:v:16:y:2020:i:1:d:10.1007_s11365-018-0499-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.