Locational Choices of the Ethanol Industry in the Midwest Corn Belt
The Corn Belt has experienced a rapid expansion of corn-based ethanol plants. This has provided researchers the opportunity to examine the relative importance to the renewable fuels industry of several location factors previously identified as important to agro-industries. Using probit regressions, this study identifies the factors significant to ethanol firms' location decisions in the four-state study area of Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Nebraska. In Iowa and Illinois, where corn is largely ubiquitous, firms move beyond corn supply to consider other localized factors in their decision-making process. Factors such as rail access, population density, and proximity to blending terminals emerge as significant considerations. Probit regressions comparing states reveal the competitive advantages that each offers to ethanol firms. The importance of the findings to economic development professionals is discussed and areas for future research are suggested.
Volume (Year): 24 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin T. McNamara & Warren P. Kriesel, 1988. "Manufacturing Location: the Impact of Human Capital Stocks and Flows," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 18(1), pages 42-48, Winter.
- Henderson, Jason R. & McNamara, Kevin T., 2000. "The Location Of Food Manufacturing Plant Investments In Corn Belt Counties," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
- David L. Barkley & Kevin T. McNamara, 1994. "Manufacturers' Location Decisions: Do Surveys Provide Helpful Insights?," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 17(1), pages 23-47, April.
- Kevin McNew & Duane Griffith, 2005. "Measuring the Impact of Ethanol Plants on Local Grain Prices," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 164-180.
- F. Larry Leistritz, 1992. "Agribusiness firms: Location determinants and economic contribution," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 273-286.
- Greenhut,Melvin L. & Norman,George & Hung,Chao-Shun, 1987. "The Economics of Imperfect Competition," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521315647, 1.
- Marc Vesecky & David Lins, 1995. "Factors influencing expansion and contraction decisions by Illinois agribusiness firms," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 405-413.
- Kenkel, Philip L. & Holcomb, Rodney B., 2006. "Challenges to Producer Ownership of Ethanol and Biodiesel Production Facilities," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(02), August.
- Greenhut,Melvin L. & Norman,George & Hung,Chao-Shun, 1987. "The Economics of Imperfect Competition," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521305525, 1.
- Stavins, Robert & Plantinga, Andrew & Lubowski, Ruben, 2002.
"The Effects of Potential Land Development on Agricultural Land Prices,"
dp-02-11-, Resources For the Future.
- Plantinga, Andrew J. & Lubowski, Ruben N. & Stavins, Robert N., 2002. "The effects of potential land development on agricultural land prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 561-581, November.
- Plantinga, Andrew & Lubowski, Ruben & Stavins, Robert, 2002. "The Effects of Potential Land Development on Agricultural Land Prices," Working Paper Series rwp02-012, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Schmenner, Roger W. & Huber, Joel C. & Cook, Randall L., 1987. "Geographic differences and the location of new manufacturing facilities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Rask, Kevin N., 1998. "Clean air and renewable fuels: the market for fuel ethanol in the US from 1984 to 1993," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 325-345, June.
- Jason R. Henderson & Kevin T. McNamara, 1997. "Community Attributes Influencing Local Food Processing Growth in the U.S. Corn Belt," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 45(3), pages 235-250, November.
- Rigoberto A. Lopez & Nona R. Henderson, 1989. "The determinants of location choices for food processing plants," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(6), pages 619-632.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:ecdequ:v:24:y:2010:i:1:p:74-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.