Determinants Of Investme??T Flows In U.S. Manufacturing
The purpose of the paper is to test the long-run steady state of growth factors hypothesized to influence U.S. manufacturing investment flows. These factors include agglomeration, market structure, labor, infrastructure, and fiscal policy. Spatial cross-regressive and spatial Durbin models are used to measure the spatial interaction of investment flows. Spatial spillovers are found to be of a competitive nature at the state level, implying that a factor which attracts more investment to a particular state is associated with lower investments in neighboring states. Investment flows to states with higher market demand, more productive labor, and more localized agglomeration of manufacturing activity.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145|
Phone: 765 494-4191
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmenner, Roger W. & Huber, Joel C. & Cook, Randall L., 1987. "Geographic differences and the location of new manufacturing facilities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Florax, R. & Folmer, H., 1991.
"Specification and Estimation of Spatial Linear Regression Models: Monte Carlo Evaluation of Pre-Test Estimator,"
Mansholt Working Papers
1991-4, Wageningen University, Mansholt Graduate School of Social Sciences.
- Florax, Raymond & Folmer, Henk, 1992. "Specification and estimation of spatial linear regression models : Monte Carlo evaluation of pre-test estimators," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 405-432, September.
- Benson, Bruce L & Johnson, Ronald N, 1986. "The Lagged Impact of State and Local Taxes on Economic Activity and Political Behavior," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(3), pages 389-401, July.
- List, John A., 2001.
"US county-level determinants of inbound FDI: evidence from a two-step modified count data model,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 953-973, May.
- John List, 2001. "US county-level determinants of inbound FDI: evidence from a two-step modified count data model," Natural Field Experiments 00515, The Field Experiments Website.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & McNamara, Kevin T. & Garrett, Megan I., 2006. "An Application of Spatial Poisson Models to Manufacturing Investment Location Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 105-121, April.
- Levinson, Arik, 1996. "Environmental regulations and manufacturers' location choices: Evidence from the Census of Manufactures," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 5-29, October.
- Jason R. Henderson & Kevin T. McNamara, 1997. "Community Attributes Influencing Local Food Processing Growth in the U.S. Corn Belt," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 45(3), pages 235-250, November.
- Davis, David E. & Schluter, Gerald E., 2005.
"Labor-Force Heterogeneity as a Source of Agglomeration Economies in an Empirical Analysis of County-Level Determinants of Food Plant Entry,"
6654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Davis, David E. & Schluter, Gerald E., 2005. "Labor-Force Heterogeneity as a Source of Agglomeration Economies in an Empirical Analysis of County-Level Determinants of Food Plant Entry," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(03), December.
- Smith, Eldon D. & Deaton, Brady J. & Kelch, David R., 1978. "Location Determinants Of Manufacturing Industry In Rural Areas," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 10(01), July.
- Smith, Eldon D. & Deaton, Brady J. & Kelch, David R., 1978. "Location Determinants of Manufacturing Industry in Rural Areas," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 23-32, July.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & McNamara, Kevin T. & Garrett, Megan I., 2006. "An Application of Spatial Poisson Models to Manufacturing Investment Location Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(01), April.
- Walter Isard, 1948. "Some Locational Factors in the Iron and Steel Industry since the Early Nineteenth Century," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 203.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-49, August.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Industrial Location Modeling: Extending the Random Utility Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-20.
- Gerhard Untiedt & Hans Joachim Schalk, 2000. "Regional investment incentives in Germany: Impacts on factor demand and growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(2), pages 173-195.
- Carlson, Virginia, 2000. "Studying Firm Locations: Survey Responses vs. Econometric Models," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 30(1).
- Stephan J. Goetz, 1997. "State- and County-Level Determinants of Food Manufacturing Establishment Growth: 1987–93," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 838-850.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pae:wpaper:09-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Weber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.