Soft information and loan supply crisis. Evidence from the credit files of a large bank
Using a large database built from the credit files of UniCredit we focus on loans to small businesses at the peak of the crisis. We study the determinants of the worsening of financial tension up to March 2009 for those customers experiencing (or close to) financial tension already at the end of December 2008. We find that, controlling for internal ratings, financial tension less likely worsened for the customers enjoying a longer-term relationship. This evidence suggests that during the crisis this large bank used soft information to shift its loan supply toward borrowers with lower ex ante asymmetries of information.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (november)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnoud W. A. Boot & Matej Marinç, 2008. "The evolving landscape of banking," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(6), pages 1173-1203, December.
- Jonathan Eaton & Sam Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010.
"Trade and the global recession,"
Working Paper Research
196, National Bank of Belgium.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Sam & Neiman, Brent & Romalis, John, 2013. "Trade and the Global Recession," Working Papers 2013-21, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Sam Kortum & John Romalis & Brent Neiman & Jonathan Eaton, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," 2010 Meeting Papers 1340, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2011. "Trade and the Global Recession," NBER Working Papers 16666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel S. Kortum & Jonathan Eaton & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_002, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Antonio Bassanetti & Martina Cecioni & Andrea Nobili & Giordano Zevi, 2011.
"Le principali recessioni italiane: un confronto retrospettivo,"
Rivista di Politica Economica,
SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 281-318, JULY-SEPT.
- Antonio Bassanetti & Martina Cecioni, & Andrea Nobili & Giordano Zevi, . "Le principali recessioni italiane: un confronto retrospettivo," Working Papers wp2010-9, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Angelini, P. & Di Salvo, R. & Ferri, G., 1998. "Availability and cost of credit for small businesses: Customer relationships and credit cooperatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 925-954, August.
- Fried, Joel & Howitt, Peter, 1980. "Credit Rationing and Implicit Contract Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(3), pages 471-87, August.
- Cole, Rebel A., 1998. "The importance of relationships to the availability of credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 959-977, August.
- John Shea, 1996.
"Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Shea, 1997. "Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 348-352, May.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Pierluigi Murro, 2010. "Lending technologies in Italy: an example of hardening soft information?," Rivista Bancaria - Minerva Bancaria, Istituto di Cultura Bancaria Francesco Parrillo, issue 4, October.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:119:y:2004:i:3:p:929-969 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michele Caivano & Lisa Rodano & Stefano Siviero, 2010. "The transmission of the global financial crisis to the Italian economy. A counterfactual analysis, 2008-2010," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 64, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Information Production and Capital Allocation: Decentralized versus Hierarchical Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 1891-1921, October.
- Mitchell Berlin & Loretta J. Mester, 1997.
"On the profitability and cost of relationship lending,"
97-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J., 1998. "On the profitability and cost of relationship lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 873-897, August.
- Mitchell Berlin & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "On the Profitability and Cost of Relationship Lending," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-43, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- C. Conigliani & G. Ferri & A. Generale, 1997.
"The impact of the bank-firm relations on the propagation of monetary policy squeezes: an empirical assessment for Italy,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 50(202), pages 271-299.
- C. Conigliani & G. Ferri & A. Generale, 1997. "The impact of the bank-firm relations on the propagation of monetary policy squeezes: an empirical assessment for Italy," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 50(202), pages 271-299.
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998.
"Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1283-1316, October.
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998. "Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/05, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Hashimoto, Juro & Izumida, Shigemi, 1996. "Japanese firms in financial distress and main banks: Analyses of interest-rate premia," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 175-194, June.
- Degryse, Hans & Van Cayseele, Patrick, 2000.
"Relationship Lending within a Bank-Based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 90-109, January.
- Hans Degryse & Partick Van cayseele, 1998. "Relationship Lending within a Bank-based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces9816, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2002.
"Does Local Financial Development Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bongini, Paola & Ferri, Giovanni & Hahm, Hongjoo, 2000. "Corporate Bankruptcy in Korea: Only the Strong Survive?," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 31-50, November.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The role of banks in reducing financial distress in Japan," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 134, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rvs:bancar:11_5_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefano Marzioni)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.