Currency and Checking Deposits as Means of Payment
We consider a record keeping cost to distinguish checking deposits from currency in a model where means-of-payment decisions and liquidity of assets are modelled explicitly. An equilibrium exists where checks are used only in big transactions while cash is used in all transactions. Higher inflation or lower reserve requirements raise the deposit interest rate, lower the currency deposit ratio and thereby increase the money multiplier and money supply. Monetary policy has differential impacts on the terms of trade in transactions using different means of payment. During high inflation, individuals economize on the holdings of nominal assets and use checks more frequently, implying higher liquidity of M1. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Marina Azzimonti, Department of Economics, Stonybrook University, 10 Nicolls Road, Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geoffrey R. Gerdes, 2008. "Recent payment trends in the United States," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages A75-A106.
- repec:fip:fedgws:y:2008:i:oct:p:a75-a106:n:v.94 is not listed on IDEAS
- Campbell, John Y. (ed.), 2008. "Asset Prices and Monetary Policy," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226092119, April.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Humphrey, David B. & Keppler, Robert H. & Montes-Negret, Fernando, 1997. "Cost recovery and pricing of payment services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1833, The World Bank.
- John Y. Campbell, 2008. "Asset Prices and Monetary Policy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number camp06-1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:09-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.