Sanitary and phytosanitary standards: Does consumers’ health protection justify developing countries’ producers’ exclusion?
The objective of this paper is to analyze the effects public regulatory tools for food safety, notably maximum admitted contamination thresholds and official controls performed at importing country’s borders on both developing countries’ market access and consumers’ health. An Industrial Economics approach is developed that endogenizes the sanitary risk associated with imports by explicitly taking into account the interaction between the public regulatory tools and the strategic response of producers/exporters. Producers’ strategic reaction is shown to crucially depend on the characteristics of the economic environment. Moreover, a regulatory reinforcement may exacerbate producers/exporters exclusion without improving consumers’ health protection.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elizabeth M. M. Q. Farina & Thomas Reardon, 2000. "Agrifood Grades and Standards in the Extended Mercosur: Their Role in the Changing Agrifood System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1170-1176.
- Starbird, S. Andrew & Amanor-Boadu, Vincent, 2006. "Do Inspection and Traceability Provide Incentives for Food Safety?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Giraud-Heraud, Eric & Grazia, Cristina & Hammoudi, Abdelhakim, 2007. "Agrifood safety standards, market power and consumer misperceptions," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7849, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "Saving two in a billion: : quantifying the trade effect of European food safety standards on African exports," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 495-514, October.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S., 2006. "Do standards matter for export success ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3809, The World Bank.
- Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Ruben Hoffmann & Yves Surry, 2009. "Food safety standards and agri-food supply chains: an introductory overview," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(4), pages 469-478, December.
- John A. Fox & David A. Hennessy, 1999.
"Cost-Effective Hazard Control in Food Handling,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 359-372.
- Eric Giraud‐Héraud & Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Ruben Hoffmann & Louis‐Georges Soler, 2012. "Joint Private Safety Standards and Vertical Relationships in Food Retailing," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 179-212, 03.
- Starbird S. Andrew & Amanor-Boadu Vincent, 2007. "Contract Selectivity, Food Safety, and Traceability," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-22, February.
- S. Andrew Starbird, 2005. "Moral Hazard, Inspection Policy, and Food Safety," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 15-27.
- Reardon, Thomas & Codron, Jean-Marie & Busch, Lawrence & Bingen, R. James & Harris, Craig, 1999. "Global Change In Agrifood Grades And Standards: Agribusiness Strategic Responses In Developing Countries," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 2(03/04).
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:93:y:2012:i:2:p:145-170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.