Devaluation Crises and the Macroeconomic Consequences of Postponed Adjustment in Developing Countries
A small analytical model is developed to explore the relationship between the dynamics of macroeconomic adjustment and the timing of the implementation of an adjustment program featuring a nominal devaluation. The effects of postponing adjustment depend on the source of the original shock. For fiscal expansion, postponement implies a larger eventual devaluation and greater deviations of macroeconomic variables from their steady-state values. For adverse terms of trade shocks, postponement does not affect the size of the eventual devaluation but does magnify the degree of postdevaluation overshooting by key macroeconomic variables.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- Flood, Robert P. & Garber, Peter M., 1984. "Collapsing exchange-rate regimes : Some linear examples," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 1-13, August.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1986.
"Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 3-33, September.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985. "Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions," NBER Working Papers 1659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua, 1985.
"Adjustment to monetary policy and devaluation under two-tier and fixed exchange rate regimes,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 153-169.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1983. "Adjustment to Monetary Policy and Devaluation Under Two-Tier and Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes," NBER Working Papers 1107, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Khan, Mohsin S & Lizondo, J Saul, 1987. "Devaluation, Fiscal Deficits, and the Real Exchange Rate," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 357-74, January.
- Blanco, Herminio & Garber, Peter M, 1986. "Recurrent Devaluation and Speculative Attacks on the Mexican Peso," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(1), pages 148-66, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:imfstp:v:36:y:1989:i:4:p:875-903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.