Austria’s Manufacturing Competitiveness
This study discusses Austria’s manufacturing competitiveness and its influence on changes in the export market shares of domestic manufacturers. We first analyze price competitiveness over time and then conduct a constant-market-shares analysis in order to attribute changes in the export market shares of domestic manufacturers to their competitiveness on the one hand and international demand patterns on the other. Austria’s manufacturing industry seized the opportunity to expand to the east when the markets in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe (CESEE) opened up. Against this backdrop, domestic manufacturers were able to improve their price competitiveness between 1995 and 2004. They also gained export market shares from 2000 onward but lost some ground in 2005 and 2006. Since then, market shares and price competitiveness have remained broadly unchanged, which means that Austria has in fact done better than most other euro area countries. By historical comparison, the impact of the financial and economic crisis on Austrian manufacturers’ export market shares and their competitiveness remained limited.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Widodo, Tri, 2010. "Market Dynamics in the EU, NAFTA, North East Asia and ASEAN: the Method of Constant Market Shares (CMS) Analysis," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 25, pages 480-500.
- Christian Ragacs & Klaus Vondra, 2009. "Austria’s Exports to Eastern Europe: Facts and Forecasts Likely Impact of Slowing Exports on Growth in Austria," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 29-43.
- Uwe Dulleck & Neil Foster-McGregor & Robert Stehrer & Julia Wörz, 2004. "Dimensions of Quality Upgrading in CEECs," wiiw Working Papers 29, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Tadashi Ito & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "New Aspects of Intra-Industry trade: Evidence from EU-15 countries," Discussion Paper Series DP2011-02, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Richardson, J David, 1971. "Some Sensitivity Tests for a 'Constant-Market-Shares' Analysis of Export Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 300-304, August.
- Alesina, Alberto & Spolaore, Enrico & Wacziarg, Romain, 2005.
"Trade, Growth and the Size of Countries,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 23, pages 1499-1542
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore & Romain Wacziarg, 2003. "Trade, Growth, and the Size of Countries," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1995, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Johannes Pöschl & Robert Stehrer & Roman Stöllinger, 2009. "Characteristics of exporting and non-exporting firms in Austria," FIW Research Reports series II-001, FIW.
- Milana, Carlo, 1988. "Constant-market-shares analysis and index number theory," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 453-478.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Karlhans Sauernheimer & Tobias Seidel & Rolf Ackermann & Michael PflÃ¼ger & Nikolaus Piper & Johann Hahlen & Peter Bernholz & Michael Schmid, 2006. "Der pathologische Exportboom These und Stellungnahmen," ifo Schnelldienst, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 59(01), pages 03-32, January.
- Harald Badinger & Fritz Breuss, 2006. "Country Size and the Gains from Trade Bloc Enlargement: an Empirical Assessment for the European Community," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 615-631, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbmp:y:2011:i:3:b:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Kwapil)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.