Residential Property Markets in CESEE EU Member States
This paper provides an overview of residential property market developments in ten Central, Eastern and Southeastern European (CESEE) EU Member States over the last 10 to 15 years, featuring price developments, housing conditions, affordability, housing financing and policy measures targeting residential property markets. The descriptive cross-country approach particularly focuses on the period of the economic and financial crisis by capturing the recent boom and bust of residential property prices across the whole region. We observe that high levels of home ownership and low costs of external housing financing were related to rising residential property prices. Besides the small size of the rental market, rising demand for affordable good-quality housing suggests that price developments during the forthcoming catching-up of residential property markets are likely to be dynamic. In this respect, policy action in different areas should increasingly attempt to keep a lid on housing market developments in CESEE.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan, 2011.
"How to Deal with Real Estate Booms; Lessons From Country Experiences,"
IMF Working Papers
11/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Crowe, Christopher & Dell’Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Rabanal, Pau, 2013. "How to deal with real estate booms: Lessons from country experiences," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 300-319.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Jarko Fidrmuc & Mariya Hake, 2011. "Determinants of Foreign Currency Loans in CESEE Countries: A Meta-Analysis," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 69-87.
- Mark Robinson & Grant M. Scobie & Brian Hallinan, 2006. "Affordability of Housing: Concepts, Measurement and Evidence," Treasury Working Paper Series 06/03, New Zealand Treasury.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Macroprudential Policy; What Instruments and How to Use them? Lessons From Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Balázs Égert & Reiner Martin, 2008. "Real Estate, Construction and Growth in Central and Eastern Europe: Impact on Competitiveness?," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 52-72.
- Quan Gan & Robert J. Hill, 2008.
"Measuring Housing Affordability: Looking Beyond the Median,"
2008-09, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Gan, Quan & Hill, Robert J., 2009. "Measuring housing affordability: Looking beyond the median," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 115-125, June.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Vartia, Laura & Wörgötter, Andreas, 2010. "Capital flows and the boom-bust cycle: The case of Estonia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 55-72, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbfi:y:2012:i:1:b:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Birgit Riedler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.