Can non-interest rate policies stabilise housing markets? Evidence from a panel of 57 economies
Using data from 57 countries spanning more than three decades, this paper investigates the effectiveness of nine non-interest rate policy tools, including macroprudential measures, in stabilising house prices and housing credit. In conventional panel regressions, housing credit growth is significantly affected by changes in the maximum debt-service-to-income (DSTI) ratio, the maximum loan-to-value ratio, limits on exposure to the housing sector and housing-related taxes. But only the DSTI ratio limit has a significant effect on housing credit growth when we use mean group and panel event study methods. Among the policies considered, a change in housing-related taxes is the only policy tool with a discernible impact on house price appreciation.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 2010.
NBER Working Papers
16654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1999.
"Monetary policy and asset price volatility,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 77-128.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "Credit Growth and the Effectiveness of Reserve Requirements and Other Macroprudential Instruments in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 12/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Crowe, Christopher & Dell’Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Rabanal, Pau, 2013.
"How to deal with real estate booms: Lessons from country experiences,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 300-319.
- Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan, 2011. "How to Deal with Real Estate Booms; Lessons From Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Adam S. Posen, 2006.
"Why Central Banks Should Not Burst Bubbles,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 109-124, 05.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Gudrun Johnsen & Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Inci Ã–tker, 2005. "Assessing and Managing Rapid Credit Growth and the Role of Supervisory and Prudential Policies," IMF Working Papers 05/151, International Monetary Fund.
- Ilhyock Shim & Bilyana Bogdanova & Jimmy Shek & Agne Subeltye, 2013. "Database for policy actions on housing markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Claessens, Stijn & Ghosh, Swati R. & Mihet, Roxana, 2013.
"Macro-prudential policies to mitigate financial system vulnerabilities,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 153-185.
- Stijn Claessens & Swati R. Ghosh & Roxana Mihet, 2014. "Macro-Prudential Policies to Mitigate Financial System Vulnerabilities," IMF Working Papers 14/155, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Macroprudential Policy; What Instruments and How to Use them? Lessons From Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2010.
"Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(s1), pages 199-215, 09.
- Michael Woodford, 2012. "Inflation Targeting and Financial Stability," NBER Working Papers 17967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Jerome Vandenbussche & Ursula Vogel & Enrica Detragiache, 2012. "Macroprudential Policies and Housing Price; A New Database and Empirical Evidence for Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe," IMF Working Papers 12/303, International Monetary Fund.
- Ito, Takatoshi, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Financial Stability: Is Inflation Targeting Passe?," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 206, Asian Development Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:433. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.