Portfolio choice of financial investors and European business cycle convergence: a panel analysis for EU countries
We investigate the linkage between business cycle convergence and financial portfolio choice for a panel of 18 EU countries. We construct an index of similarity of financial portfolios which we then put into context with the view that “the financial world” has an impact on business cycles and contributes to business cycle convergence via the consumption-wealth linkage. The model which guides our analysis is the International Asset Pricing Model (IAPM). Portfolios of the 18 EU countries investigated by us turn out to become more similar over time. According to our fixed effects GMM TSLS estimations, similar portfolios contribute to a convergence of business cycles—via a convergence of consumption cycles. This turns out to be especially true for country-pairs that include euro area non-member countries and, thus, have quite different income and wealth structures. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2013
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slacalek, Jiri, 2009.
"What Drives Personal Consumption? The Role of Housing and Financial Wealth,"
Working Paper Series
1117, European Central Bank.
- Slacalek Jiri, 2009. "What Drives Personal Consumption? The Role of Housing and Financial Wealth," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-37, October.
- Jiri Slacalek, 2006. "What Drives Personal Consumption?: The Role of Housing and Financial Wealth," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 647, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Todd E. Clark & Eric Van Wincoop, 1999.
"Borders and business cycles,"
91, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Brooks, Robin & Del Negro, Marco, 2004.
"The rise in comovement across national stock markets: market integration or IT bubble?,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 659-680, December.
- Robin Brooks & Marco Del Negro, 2002. "The rise in comovement across national stock markets: market integration or IT bubble?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Belke, Ansgar H. & Heine, Jens M., 2004.
"Specialisation Patterns and the Synchronicity of Regional Employment Cycles in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1439, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ansgar Belke & Jens Heine, 2006. "Specialisation patterns and the synchronicity of regional employment cycles in Europe," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 91-104, November.
- Ansgar Belke & Jens Michael Heine, 2002. "Specialisation Patterns and the Synchronicity of Regional Employment Cycles in Europe," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 210/2002, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Ansgar BELKE & Jens H. HEINE, . "Specialisation Patterns and the Synchronicity of Regional Employment Cycles in Europe," EcoMod2004 330600020, EcoMod.
- Ansgar Belke & Jens Heine, 2007. "On the endogeneity of an exogenous OCA-criterion: specialisation and the correlation of regional business cycles in Europe," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 15-44, March.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Ricardo M. Sousa, 2009.
"Wealth Effetcs on Consumption: Evidence from the euro area,"
NIPE Working Papers
12/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Sousa, Ricardo M., 2009. "Wealth effects on consumption: evidence from the euro area," Working Paper Series 1050, European Central Bank.
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, September.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:empiri:v:40:y:2013:i:1:p:175-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.