The R&D value-chain efficiency measurement for high-tech industries in China
This study constructs the research and development (R&D) and operation processes as a value-chain framework, in which R&D results in the successful applications of patents. These patents are then used to generate final outputs in the operation. We introduce an empirical model extended from the value-chain model to compute the R&D and the operation efficiencies for 21 of China’s high-tech businesses in a single implementation. The findings are presented as follows. First, R&D efficiency is not related to operation efficiency. Second, communication businesses have relatively higher performance in R&D and operation efficiencies, whereas electronics and computer businesses have high operation efficiency, but low R&D efficiency. Finally, for improving the efficiencies, the patents that do not effectively create value should be reduced. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Volume (Year): 29 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106589
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2000. "Network DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Lawrence M. Seiford & Joe Zhu, 1999. "Profitability and Marketability of the Top 55 U.S. Commercial Banks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1270-1288, September.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Jon Zabala-Iturriagagoitia & Peter Voigt & Antonio Gutierrez-Gracia & Fernando Jimenez-Saez, 2007. "Regional Innovation Systems: How to Assess Performance," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 661-672.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1996. "Productivity and intermediate products: A frontier approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 65-70, January.
- Kao, Chiang & Hwang, Shiuh-Nan, 2008. "Efficiency decomposition in two-stage data envelopment analysis: An application to non-life insurance companies in Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 418-429, February.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1980. "Basic Research and Productivity Increase in Manufacturing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 863-73, December.
- Psillaki, Maria & Tsolas, Ioannis E. & Margaritis, Dimitris, 2010. "Evaluation of credit risk based on firm performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 873-881, March.
- Hagedoorn, John & Cloodt, Myriam, 2003. "Measuring innovative performance: is there an advantage in using multiple indicators?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1365-1379, September.
- Her-Jiun Sheu & Chi-Yih Yang, 2005. "Insider ownership and firm performance in Taiwan's electronics industry: a technical efficiency perspective," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(5), pages 307-318.
- Shantanu Dutta & Om Narasimhan & Surendra Rajiv, 1999. "Success in High-Technology Markets: Is Marketing Capability Critical?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(4), pages 547-568.
- Thomas Sexton & Herbert Lewis, 2003. "Two-Stage DEA: An Application to Major League Baseball," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 227-249, April.
- Huang, Haizhou & Xu, Chenggang, 1998. "Soft Budget Constraint and the Optimal Choices of Research and Development Projects Financing," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 62-79, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:asiapa:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:989-1006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.