The use of supply chain DEA models in operations management: A survey
Standard Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) approach is used to evaluate the efficiency of DMUs and treats its internal structures as a “black box”. The aim of this paper is twofold. The first task is to survey and classify supply chain DEA models which investigate these internal structures. The second aim is to point out the significance of these models for the decision maker of a supply chain. We analyze the simple case of these models which is the two-stage models and a few more general models such as network DEA models. Furthermore, we study some variations of these models such as models with only intermediate measures between first and second stage and models with exogenous inputs in the second stage. We define four categories: typical, relational, network and game theoretic DEA models. We present each category along with its mathematical formulations, main applications and possible connections with other categories. Finally, we present some concluding remarks and opportunities for future research.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Yao & Cook, Wade D. & Li, Ning & Zhu, Joe, 2009. "Additive efficiency decomposition in two-stage DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 1170-1176, August.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Goto, Mika, 1999. "Dynamic data envelopment analysis: modeling intertemporal behavior of a firm in the presence of productive inefficiencies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 51-56, July.
- Thomas Sexton & Herbert Lewis, 2003. "Two-Stage DEA: An Application to Major League Baseball," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 227-249, April.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fare, R. & Grabowski, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Kraft, S., 1997. "Efficiency of a fixed but allocatable input: A non-parametric approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 187-193, October.
- Lothgren, Mickael & Tambour, Magnus, 1999. "Productivity and customer satisfaction in Swedish pharmacies: A DEA network model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 449-458, June.
- Chen, Chien-Ming, 2009. "A network-DEA model with new efficiency measures to incorporate the dynamic effect in production networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(3), pages 687-699, May.
- Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2010. "Measuring performance of two-stage network structures by DEA: A review and future perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 423-430, December.
- Liang Liang & Feng Yang & Wade Cook & Joe Zhu, 2006. "DEA models for supply chain efficiency evaluation," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 35-49, July.
- Prieto, Angel M. & Zofio, Jose L., 2007. "Network DEA efficiency in input-output models: With an application to OECD countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 292-304, April.
- Zhu, Joe, 2000. "Multi-factor performance measure model with an application to Fortune 500 companies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 105-124, May.
- Kao, Chiang & Hwang, Shiuh-Nan, 2008. "Efficiency decomposition in two-stage data envelopment analysis: An application to non-life insurance companies in Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 418-429, February.
- Lawrence M. Seiford & Joe Zhu, 1999. "Profitability and Marketability of the Top 55 U.S. Commercial Banks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1270-1288, September.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1996. "Productivity and intermediate products: A frontier approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 65-70, January.
- Chen, Yao & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2009. "Equivalence in two-stage DEA approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 600-604, March.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2000. "Network DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Kao, Chiang, 2009. "Efficiency decomposition in network data envelopment analysis: A relational model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 949-962, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31846. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.