An Empirical Examination of Compensation of REIT Managers
Principal-agent literature finds that manager and owner incentives can be aligned with performance contingent contracts. We investigate the compensation of Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) industry executives. The competitive nature of mortgage and equity markets, in conjunction with the corporate tax exemption available when REITs distribute most of their earnings as dividends, is likely to influence the compensation of REIT managers. Executive compensation is modeled as a function of revenues and unexpected profit. After transforming the model to reduce collinearity and heteroskedasticity, we find compensation to be generally positively related to revenue. We also find unexpected profit to be generally insignificantly related to compensation, but positively related in those cases where it is significant.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L Judd, 1984.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
642, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Murphy, Kevin J., 1985. "Corporate performance and managerial remuneration : An empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 11-42, April.
- Brian A. Marts & Fayez A. Elayan, 1990. "Capital Structure and the Cost of Capital for Untaxed Firms: The Case of REITs," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 22-39.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1979. "Optimal incentive contracts with imperfect information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 231-259, April.
- Anup Agrawal & Anil K. Makhija & Gershon Mandelker, 1991. "Executive Compensation and Corporate Performance in Electric and Gas Utilities," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(4), Winter.
- Gibbons, R. & Murphy, K.J., 1989.
"Relative Performance Evaluation For Chief Executive Officers,"
532, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 1990. "Relative performance evaluation for chief executive officers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(3), pages 30-51, February.
- Robert Gibbons & Kevin Murphy, 1989. "Relative Performance Evaluation for Chief Executive Officers," Working Papers 628, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 1991. "Relative Performance Evaluation for Chief Executive Officers," NBER Working Papers 2944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benston, George J., 1985. "The self-serving management hypothesis : Some evidence," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 67-84, April.
- K. C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990.
"Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 431-452.
- K.C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990. "Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs," NBER Working Papers 3311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Han Kim, E. & Lewellen, Wilbur G. & McConnell, John J., 1979. "Financial leverage clienteles : Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 83-109, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Wang, Ko & Chan, Su Han & Gau, George W., 1992. "Initial public offerings of equity securities *1: Anomalous evidence using REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 381-410, June.
- Reitman, David, 1993. "Stock Options and the Strategic Use of Managerial Incentives," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 513-24, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:10:n:3:1995:p:263-278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.