An Empirical Examination of Compensation of REIT Managers
Principal-agent literature finds that manager and owner incentives can be aligned with performance contingent contracts. We investigate the compensation of Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) industry executives. The competitive nature of mortgage and equity markets, in conjunction with the corporate tax exemption available when REITs distribute most of their earnings as dividends, is likely to influence the compensation of REIT managers. Executive compensation is modeled as a function of revenues and unexpected profit. After transforming the model to reduce collinearity and heteroskedasticity, we find compensation to be generally positively related to revenue. We also find unexpected profit to be generally insignificantly related to compensation, but positively related in those cases where it is significant.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L, 1987.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 927-940, December.
- Wang, Ko & Chan, Su Han & Gau, George W., 1992. "Initial public offerings of equity securities *1: Anomalous evidence using REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 381-410, June.
- Reitman, David, 1993. "Stock Options and the Strategic Use of Managerial Incentives," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 513-524, June.
- Brian A. Marts & Fayez A. Elayan, 1990. "Capital Structure and the Cost of Capital for Untaxed Firms: The Case of REITs," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 22-39.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- K. C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990.
"Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 431-452.
- K.C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990. "Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs," NBER Working Papers 3311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benston, George J., 1985. "The self-serving management hypothesis : Some evidence," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 67-84, April.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1979. "Optimal incentive contracts with imperfect information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 231-259, April.
- Anup Agrawal & Anil K. Makhija & Gershon Mandelker, 1991. "Executive Compensation and Corporate Performance in Electric and Gas Utilities," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(4), Winter.
- Murphy, Kevin J., 1985. "Corporate performance and managerial remuneration : An empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 11-42, April.
- repec:sae:ilrrev:v:43:y:1990:i:3:p:30-51 is not listed on IDEAS
- Han Kim, E. & Lewellen, Wilbur G. & McConnell, John J., 1979. "Financial leverage clienteles : Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 83-109, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:10:n:3:1995:p:263-278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.