Do Managerial Motives Impact Dividend Decisions in REITs?
Conflict of interest between shareholders (principal) and managers (agent) is a potential weakness of the modern corporate form. Various monitoring mechanisms—pay for performance compensation schemes, mix of cash compensation and long term compensation, the independence of the board of directors, the market for takeovers, and capital structure—have been developed to discipline management and motivate them to maximize shareholder wealth. We test the hypothesis that dividend payout levels reflect the quality of and motivation for managerial decision making and are a function of performance and monitoring effectiveness. Consistent with this hypothesis, our analyses indicate that dividend payout, and dividend yield are functions of corporate performance, board structure, CEO tenure, and CEO ownership of company shares. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2006
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 32 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11146/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbara J. Davis & Roger M. Shelor, 1995. "Executive Compensation and Financial Performance in the Real Estate Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(2), pages 141-152.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Larcker, David F., 1996. "The financial performance of reverse leveraged buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 293-332, November.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation," Scholarly Articles 29407535, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pennathur, Anita K & Shelor, Roger M, 2002. "The Determinants of REIT CEO Compensation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 99-113, July.
- Diane K. Schooley & L. Dwayne Barney Jr., 1994. "Using Dividend Policy And Managerial Ownership To Reduce Agency Costs," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(3), pages 363-373, 09.
- Schooley, Diane K & Barney, L Dwayne, Jr, 1994. "Using Dividend Policy and Managerial Ownership to Reduce Agency Costs," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(3), pages 363-373, Fall.
- Robert D. Campbell & Chinmoy Ghosh & C. F. Sirmans, 2001. "The Information Content of Method of Payment in Mergers: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 361-387.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Chandra S. Mishra & James F. Nielsen, 2000. "Board Independence and Compensation Policies in Large Bank Holding Companies," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(3), Fall.
- Marc C. Chopin & Ross N. Dickens & Roger M. Shelor, 1995. "An Empirical Examination of Compensation of REIT Managers," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(3), pages 263-278.
- Ghosh, Chinmoy & Sirmans, C F, 2003. "Board Independence, Ownership Structure and Performance: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2-3), pages 287-318, March-May.
- Hu, Aidong & Kumar, Praveen, 2004. "Managerial Entrenchment and Payout Policy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(04), pages 759-790, December.
- Loderer, Claudio & Martin, Kenneth, 1997. "Executive stock ownership and performance Tracking faint traces," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 223-255, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:32:y:2006:i:3:p:327-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.