Sales Growth of New Pharmaceuticals Across the Globe: The Role of Regulatory Regimes
Prior marketing literature has overlooked the role of regulatory regimes in explaining international sales growth of new products. This paper addresses this gap in the context of new pharmaceuticals (15 new molecules in 34 countries) and sheds light on the effects of regulatory regimes on new drug sales across the globe. Based on a time-varying coefficient model, we find that differences in regulation substantially contribute to cross-country variation in sales. One of the regulatory constraints investigated, i.e., manufacturer price controls, has a positive effect on drug sales. The other forms of regulation such as restrictions of physician prescription budgets and the prohibition of direct-to-consumer advertising (DTCA) tend to hurt sales. The effect of manufacturer price controls is similar for newly launched and mature drugs. By contrast, regulations on physician prescription budgets and DTCA have a differential effect for newly launched and mature drugs. Whereas the former hurts mature drugs more, the latter has a larger effect on newly launched drugs. In addition to these regulatory effects, we find that national culture, economic wealth, and lagged sales also affect drug sales. Our findings may be used as input by managers for international launch and marketing decisions. They may also be used by public policy administrators to assess the role of regulatory regimes in pharmaceutical sales growth.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (07-08)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reuveni, Haim & Sheizaf, Boaz & Elhayany, Asher & Sherf, Michael & Limoni, Yehuda & Scharff, S. & Peled, Ronit, 2002. "The effect of drug co-payment policy on the purchase of prescription drugs for children with infections in the community," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-13, October.
- Prasad A. Naik & Murali K. Mantrala & Alan G. Sawyer, 1998. "Planning Media Schedules in the Presence of Dynamic Advertising Quality," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(3), pages 214-235.
- V. Kumar & Trichy V. Krishnan, 2002. "Multinational Diffusion Models: An Alternative Framework," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(3), pages 318-330, July.
- Kauermann, Goran & Khomski, Pavel, 2006. "Additive two-way hazards model with varying coefficients," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1944-1956, December.
- Frank M. Bass & Trichy V. Krishnan & Dipak C. Jain, 1994. "Why the Bass Model Fits without Decision Variables," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 203-223.
- Roger M. Heeler & Thomas P. Hustad, 1980. "Problems in Predicting New Product Growth for Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(10), pages 1007-1020, October.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Ramarao Desiraju, 2005. "Strategic Pricing and Detailing Behavior in International Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 67-80, June.
- David M. Cutler & Alan M. Garber, 2003. "Introduction to "Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 6"," NBER Chapters,in: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 6, pages -5 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venkataraman, S. & Stremersch, S., 2007. "The Debate on Influencing Doctors’ Decisions: Are Drug Characteristics the Missing Link?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-056-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Ramya Neelamegham & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2004. "Modeling and Forecasting the Sales of Technology Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 195-232, 09.
- Puneet Manchanda & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2004. "Responsiveness of Physician Prescription Behavior to Salesforce Effort: An Individual Level Analysis," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 15(2_3), pages 129-145, 07.
- Jean O. Lanjouw, 2005.
"Patents, Price Controls and Access to New Drugs: How Policy Affects Global Market Entry,"
61, Center for Global Development.
- Jean O. Lanjouw, 2005. "Patents, Price Controls, and Access to New Drugs: How Policy Affects Global Market Entry," NBER Working Papers 11321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramkumar Janakiraman & Shantanu Dutta & Catarina Sismeiro & Philip Stern, 2008. "Physicians' Persistence and Its Implications for Their Response to Promotion of Prescription Drugs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(6), pages 1080-1093, June.
- Hubert Gatignon & Jehoshua Eliashberg & Thomas S. Robertson, 1989. "Modeling Multinational Diffusion Patterns: An Efficient Methodology," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 231-247.
- David M. Cutler & Alan M. Garber, 2003. "Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 6," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number cutl03-1, June.
- Christophe Van den Bulte & Stefan Stremersch, 2004. "Social Contagion and Income Heterogeneity in New Product Diffusion: A Meta-Analytic Test," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(4), pages 530-544, July.
- Tatyana Krivobokova & Göran Kauermann & Theofanis Archontakis, 2006. "Estimating the term structure of interest rates using penalized splines," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 443-459, June.
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Cross-national price differences for pharmaceuticals: how large, and why?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 159-195, March.
- Ngo, Long & Wand, Matthew P., 2004. "Smoothing with Mixed Model Software," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 9(i01).
- Kauermann, Goran, 2005. "Penalized spline smoothing in multivariable survival models with varying coefficients," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 169-186, April.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-379, October.
- Wright, Donald J., 2004. "The drug bargaining game: pharmaceutical regulation in Australia," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 785-813, July.
- Sriram Venkataraman & Stefan Stremersch, 2007. "The Debate on Influencing Doctors' Decisions: Are Drug Characteristics the Missing Link?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(11), pages 1688-1701, November.
- Dan Horsky & Leonard S. Simon, 1983. "Advertising and the Diffusion of New Products," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 1-17.
- Brent A. Coull & David Ruppert & M. P. Wand, 2001. "Simple Incorporation of Interactions into Additive Models," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 539-545, 06.
- Ciprian Crainiceanu & David Ruppert & Gerda Claeskens & M. P. Wand, 2005. "Exact likelihood ratio tests for penalised splines," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(1), pages 91-103, March.
- Schwartz, Rebecca K. & Soumerai, Stephen B. & Avorn, Jerry, 1989. "Physician motivations for nonscientific drug prescribing," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 577-582, January.
- Jianhua Z. Huang, 2002. "Varying-coefficient models and basis function approximations for the analysis of repeated measurements," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(1), pages 111-128, March.
- Charlotte H. Mason, 1990. "New Product Entries and Product Class Demand," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(1), pages 58-73.
- Cutler David M. & Garber Alan M., 2003. "Introduction to Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 6," Forum for Health Economics & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2007. "Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 88-99, February.
- Wedel, Michel & Leeflang, Peter S. H., 1998. "A model for the effects of psychological pricing in Gabor-Granger price studies," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 237-260, April.
- Lynn, Michael & Zinkhan, George M & Harris, Judy, 1993. " Consumer Tipping: A Cross-Country Study," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 478-488, December.
- Gerard J. Tellis & Stefan Stremersch & Eden Yin, 2003. "The International Takeoff of New Products: The Role of Economics, Culture, and Country Innovativeness," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(2), pages 188-208, October.
- Desiraju, Ramarao & Nair, Harikesh S. & Chintagunta, Pradeep, 2004. "Diffusion of New Pharmaceutical Drugs in Developing and Developed Nations," Research Papers 1950, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Mehta, Abhilasha & Purvis, Scott C., 2003. "Consumer Response to Print Prescription Drug Advertising," Journal of Advertising Research, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(02), pages 194-206, June.
- Mats Ekelund & Björn Persson, 2003. "Pharmaceutical Pricing in a Regulated Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 298-306, May.
- van den Bulte, C. & Stremersch, S., 2003. "Contagion and heterogeneity in new product diffusion: An emperical test," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-077-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Minhi Hahn & Sehoon Park & Lakshman Krishnamurthi & Andris A. Zoltners, 1994. "Analysis of New Product Diffusion Using a Four-Segment Trial-Repeat Model," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 224-247.
- Min Ding & Jehoshua Eliashberg, 2008. "A Dynamic Competitive Forecasting Model Incorporating Dyadic Decision Making," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 820-834, April.
- Steven M. Shugan, 2003. "Editorial: Defining Interesting Research Problems," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(1), pages 1-15. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormksc:v:28:y:2009:i:4:p:690-708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.