Exchange rates and product variety
We study the role of exchange rate variability in the firm's choice of whether to offer one or two varieties. We show that variability induces the firm to vertically segment markets (offer two varieties). This happens because variability in the exchange rate affects income dispersion and hence the firm's incentives to extract consumer surplus. To better extract surplus, the firm offers two price-quality menus, a high-quality variant geared for top-end surplus extraction and a low-quality variant to address market coverage concerns. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friberg, Richard, 2001.
"Two monies, two markets?: Variability and the option to segment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 317-327, December.
- Friberg, Richard, 2000. "Two monies, two markets? Variability and the option to segment," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 349, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, Jean & Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1986. "Segmenting the market: The monopolist's optimal product mix," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 273-289, August.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & SHAKED, Avner & SUTTON, John & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated". "Segmenting the market: the monopolist's optimal product mix," CORE Discussion Papers RP 707, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Richard Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-654.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987. "Exchange Rates and Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 93-106, March.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985. "Exchange Rates and Prices," NBER Working Papers 1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, 1983. "Blue and Red Cars, or Blue Cars Only? A Note on Product Variety," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(198), pages 203-206, May.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., "undated". "Blue and red cars, or blue cars only? A note on product variety," CORE Discussion Papers RP 524, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:14:y:2009:i:2:p:188-198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.