Are house prices guided by fundamentals or speculative factors? An empirical inquiry for India
Using quarterly data from 1995:q1-2013:q4, the study empirically examines the key macro determinants of housing price in India's dwelling market. Employing the tools of vector auto-regression (VAR) model, the results based on variance decomposition suggest that the non-fundamental or speculative factors reflected in historical growth of house price predominantly contribute a larger proportion of house price variation comparing the fundamental economic factors. Among the fundamental factors, it is the real income growth rate which significantly explains the variation in house price. The stock market return, real effective exchange rate and interest rate moderately explain the house price variation in India.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2016)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=219|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balázs Égert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007.
"Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 49(3), pages 367-388, September.
- BalÃ¡zs Egert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007. "Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 2152, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balázs Égert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007. "Determinants of house prices in central and eastern Europe," BIS Working Papers 236, Bank for International Settlements.
- Balazs Egert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2008. "Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 2008/1, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Balazs Egert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007. "Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp894, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hrushikesh Mallick & Mantu Kumar Mahalik, 2012. "Fundamental or speculative factors in the housing markets of emerging economies? Some lessons from China," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 57-67, March.
- Riddel, Mary, 1999. "Fundamentals, Feedback Trading, and Housing Market Speculation: Evidence from California," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 272-284, December.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Peng, Wensheng, 2005. "Bank lending and property prices in Hong Kong," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 461-481, February.
- Stefan Gerlach & Wensheng Peng, 2003. "Bank Lending and Property Prices in Hong Kong," Working Papers 122003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Peng, Wensheng, 2004. "Bank Lending and Property Prices in Hong Kong," CEPR Discussion Papers 4797, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward E. Leamer, 2007. "Housing is the business cycle," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 149-233.
- Edward E. Leamer, 2007. "Housing IS the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 13428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric J. Levin & Robert E. Wright, 1997. "Speculation in the Housing Market?," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 34(9), pages 1419-1437, August.
- Eric J. Levin & Robert E. Wright, "undated". "Speculation in the Housing Market?," Working Papers Series 96/2, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Sainan Jin & Wanjun Jiang & Liangjun Su & Jianying Hu, 2006. "The Rise in House Prices in China: Bubbles or Fundamentals?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(7), pages 1-8.
- Ming-Chi Chen & Kanak Patel, 1998. "House Price Dynamics and Granger Causality: An Analysis of Taipei New Dwelling Market," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 1(1), pages 101-126.
- Tiwari, Piyush & Parikh, Jyoti, 1997. "Demand for housing in the Bombay Metropolitan Region," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 295-321, June.
- G. Donald Jud & Dan T. Winkler, 2002. "The Dynamics of Metropolitan Housing Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 29-46.
- Chan, Hing Lin & Lee, Shu Kam & Woo, Kai Yin, 2001. "Detecting rational bubbles in the residential housing markets of Hong Kong," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Ren, Yu & Xiong, Cong & Yuan, Yufei, 2012. "House price bubbles in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 786-800.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-137, March.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," NBER Working Papers 2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Joshua Gallin, 2006. "The Long-Run Relationship between House Prices and Income: Evidence from Local Housing Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(3), pages 417-438, September.
- Patricia Fraser & Martin Hoesli & Lynn McAlevey, 2008. "House Prices and Bubbles in New Zealand," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 71-91, July.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2006:i:7:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Abelson & Roselyne Joyeux & George Milunovich & Demi Chung, 2005. "Explaining House Prices in Australia: 1970-2003," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(s1), pages 96-103, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijepee:v:9:y:2016:i:1:p:47-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Darren Simpson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.