Central Bank Independence and Economic Performance
This paper examines the influence that several factors may have on the relationship between legal Central Bank Independence (CBI), on the one hand, and the inflation and real GDP growth on the other. Using multivariate regression analysis for 39 OECD during the two periods, 1991-1998 and 1999-2006, we show that even if we include several control variables in the regression, the negative relationship between CBI and inflation, and the lack of relationship between CBI and the variability of real GDP growth remaining were unaffected. Also, we decompose the index of CBI into its four components and we examine whether they matter for inflation, for real GDP growth and for the sacrifice ratio.
Volume (Year): 3 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 357 22892429
Fax: + 357 22892426
Web page: http://www.ucy.ac.cy/goto/ecorece/el-GR/HOME.aspx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kees Bouwman & Richard Jong-A-Pin & Jakob de Haan, 2005. "On the relationship between central bank independence and inflation: some more bad news," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 381-385, November.
- Hayo, Bernd & Hefeker, Carsten, 2002. "Reconsidering central bank independence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 653-674, November.
- Alesina, Alberto & Summers, Lawrence H, 1993. "Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 151-62, May.
- Alesina, Alberto & Gatti, Roberta, 1995. "Independent Central Banks: Low Inflation at No Cost?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 196-200, May.
- Brumm, Harold J, 2000. "Inflation and Central Bank Independence: Conventional Wisdom Redux," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 807-19, November.
- David Romer, 1991.
"Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
3936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Demertzis, 2001. "Low inflation at no cost? A numerical simulations exercise," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 72, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Posen, Adam, 1998.
"Central Bank Independence and Disinflationary Credibility: A Missing Link?,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 335-59, July.
- Adam Posen, 1995. "Central bank independence and disinflationary credibility: a missing link?," Staff Reports 1, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester & van Rooij, Maarten & Schaling, Eric, 1996.
" Central Bank Independence: A Paneldata Approach,"
Springer, vol. 89(1-2), pages 163-82, October.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & van Rooij, M. & Schaling, E., 1996. "Central Bank Independence : A Panel Data Approach," Other publications TiSEM edfc8450-16c6-4539-be31-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & van Rooij, M. & Schaling, E., 1994. "Central bank independence : A paneldata approach," Discussion Paper 1994-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, S. & van Rool, M. & Schaling, E., 1994. "Central Bank Independence: A Panel Data Approach," Papers 9493, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-98, September.
- Marta Campillo & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1997.
"Why Does Inflation Differ across Countries?,"
in: Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy, pages 335-362
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guy Debelle & Stanley Fischer, 1994.
"How independent should a central bank be?,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 38, pages 195-225.
- Giuseppe Diana & Moïse Sidiropoulos, 2004.
"Central Bank Independence, Speed of Disinflation and the Sacrifice Ratio,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 385-402, October.
- Giuseppe Diana & Moise Sidiropoulos, 2003. "Central Bank Independence, Speed of Disinflation and the Sacrifice Ratio," Working Papers of BETA 2003-08, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Cukierman, Alex & Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Summers, Lawrence H. & Webb, Steven B., 1993. "Central bank independence, growth, investment, and real rates," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 95-140, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & Pablo Querubin & James A. Robinson, 2008.
"When Does POlicy Reform Work? The Case of Central Bank Independence,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(1 (Spring), pages 351-429.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & Pablo Querubin & James A. Robinson, 2008. "When Does Policy Reform Work? The Case of Central Bank Independence," NBER Working Papers 14033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andreas Fischer, 1996. "Central bank independence and sacrifice ratios," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 5-18, January.
- Thomas Jordan, 1997. "Disinflation costs, accelerating inflation gains, and central bank independence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Demertzis, Maria & Hughes Hallett, Andrew, 1998. "Independently Blue? Accountability and Independence in the New European Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 1842, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1995. "Central-Bank Independence Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 201-06, May.
- Hall, Peter A. & Franzese, Robert J., 1998. "Mixed Signals: Central Bank Independence, Coordinated Wage Bargaining, and European Monetary Union," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(03), pages 505-535, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erc:cypepr:v:3:y:2009:i:1:p:123-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Shekersavva)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.