Inflation and Central Bank Independence: Conventional Wisdom Redux
Download full text from publisherTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
References listed on IDEAS
- Sachs, Jeffrey D, 1996. "Economic Transition and the Exchange-Rate Regime," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 147-152, May.
- Thomas D. Willett, 1998. "Credibility and Discipline Effects of Exchange Rates as Nominal Anchors: The Need to Distinguish Temporary from Permanent Pegs," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 803-826, August.
- Cukierman, Alex & Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Summers, Lawrence H. & Webb, Steven B., 1993. "Central bank independence, growth, investment, and real rates," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 95-140, December.
- Posen, Adam, 1998.
"Central Bank Independence and Disinflationary Credibility: A Missing Link?,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 335-359, July.
- Adam S. Posen, 1995. "Central bank independence and disinflationary credibility: a missing link?," Staff Reports 1, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kiguel, Miguel A & Liviatan, Nissan, 1992. "The Business Cycle Associated.with Exchange Rate-Based Stabilizations," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 279-305, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- David Romer, 1993.
"Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 869-903.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Végh, 1994. "Inflation Stabilization And Nominal Anchors," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(2), pages 35-45, April.
- Andreas Fischer, 1996. "Central bank independence and sacrifice ratios," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 5-18, January.
- Temple, Jonathan, 1998. "Central bank independence and inflation: good news and bad news," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 215-219, November.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-398, September.
- Satorra, Albert & Bentler, Peter M., 1990. "Model conditions for asymptotic robustness in the analysis of linear relations," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 235-249, December.
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Hsiao, Cheng & Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom, 1984. "Latent variable models in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics,in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1321-1393 Elsevier.
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1988. "A New Set of International Comparisons of Real Product and Price Levels Estimates for 130 Countries, 1950-1985," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(1), pages 1-25, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berggren, Niclas & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Hellström, Jörgen, 2014.
"Social trust and central-bank independence,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 425-439.
- Berggren, Niclas & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Hellström, Jörgen, 2012. "Social trust and central-bank independence," HUI Working Papers 66, HUI Research.
- Berggren, Niclas & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olof & Hellström, Jörgen, 2012. "Social Trust and Central-Bank Independence," Working Paper Series 920, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Mahir Binici & Yin-Wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai, 2011.
"Trade Openness, Market Competition, and Inflation: Some Sectoral Evidence from OECD Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3690, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mahir Binici & Yin-Wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai, 2012. "Trade Openness, Market Competition, and Inflation : Some Sectoral Evidence from OECD Countries," Working Papers 1206, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Posso, Alberto & Tawadros, George B., 2013. "Does greater central bank independence really lead to lower inflation? Evidence from panel data," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 244-247.
- Gernot Pehnelt, 2007. "Globalisation and Inflation in OECD Countries," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-055, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Bernard J Laurens & Marco Arnone & Jean-François Segalotto, 2006. "The Measurement of Central Bank Autonomy; Survey of Models, Indicators, and Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/227, International Monetary Fund.
- Alesina, Alberto & Stella, Andrea, 2010. "The Politics of Monetary Policy," Handbook of Monetary Economics,in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 18, pages 1001-1054 Elsevier.
- Hermann Sintim-Aboagye & Chandana Chakraborty & Serapio Byekwaso, 2012. "Uncertainty of inflation and inflation rate: Does credibility of inflation policy matter?," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 17(2), pages 95-110, September.
- Aleksandra Maslowska, 2007. "Discussion on the Inconsistency of Central Bank Independence Measures," Discussion Papers 21, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Agustin Carstens & Luis I. Jacome H., 2005.
"Latin American Central Bank Reform: Progress and Challenges,"
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Latin American Central Bank Reform; Progress and Challenges," IMF Working Papers 05/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Farvaque, Etienne, 2002. "Political determinants of central bank independence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 131-135, September.
- Luis Jácome & Francisco Vázquez, 2005.
"Any Link Between Legal Central Bank Independence and Inflation? Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean,"
- Luis Ignacio Jácome & Francisco F. Vazquez, 2005. "Any Link Between Legal Central Bank Independence and Inflation? Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 05/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Agustín Carstens, & Luis I. Jácome, 2005. "The 1990s Institutional Reform of Monetary Policy in Latin America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 343, Central Bank of Chile.
- Dreher, Axel & Sturm, Jan-Egbert & de Haan, Jakob, 2008.
"Does high inflation cause central bankers to lose their job? Evidence based on a new data set,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 778-787, December.
- Axel Dreher & Jakob de Haan & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2007. "Does High Inflation Cause Central Bankers to Lose their Job? Evidence Based on a New Data Set," CESifo Working Paper Series 2045, CESifo Group Munich.
- Axel Dreher & Jan-Egbert Sturm & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Does High Inflation Cause Central Bankers to Lose Their Job? Evidence Based on a New Data Set," KOF Working papers 07-167, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Görgens Egon, 2002. "Europäische Geldpolitik: Gefährdungspotentiale - Handlungsmöglichkeiten - Glaubwürdigkeit," ORDO. Jahrbuch für die Ordnung von Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft, De Gruyter, vol. 53(1), pages 31-58, January.
- Lin, Hsin-Yi, 2009. "A Revisit of the Relation between Central Bank Independence and Inflation," MPRA Paper 30398, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brumm, Harold J., 2011. "Inflation and central bank independence: Two-way causality?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 220-222, June.
- Athina Zervoyianni & Athanasios Anastasiou & Andreas Anastasiou, 2014.
"Does central bank independence really matter? Re-assessing the role of the independence of monetary policy-makers in macroeconomic outcomes,"
International Journal of Economics and Business Research,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(4), pages 427-473.
- Athina Zervoyianni & Athanasios Anastasiou & Andreas Anastasiou, 2013. "Does Central Bank Independence Really Matter? Re-Assessing the Role of the Independence of Monetary Policymakers in Macroeconomic Outcomes," Working Paper series 03_13, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Matthew Doyle & Barry Falk, 2008.
"Testing Commitment Models of Monetary Policy: Evidence from OECD Economies,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 409-425, March.
- Doyle, Matthew & Falk, Barry L., 2004. "Testing Commitment Models of Monetary Policy: Evidence from OECD Economies," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11995, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Aleksandra A. Maslowska, 2011. "Quest for the Best: How to Measure Central Bank Independence and Show its Relationship with Inflation," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 132-161, August.
- Boschen, John F. & Weise, Charles L., 2004. "Does the dynamic time consistency model of inflation explain cross-country differences in inflations dynamics?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 735-759, September.
- Mendonça, Helder Ferreira de, 2005. "Central bank independence and its relationship to inflation," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), December.
- Brumm, Harold J., 2006. "The effect of central bank independence on inflation in developing countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 189-193, February.
- Goran Petrevski & Jane Bogoev & Bruno Sergi, 2012. "The link between central bank independence and inflation in Central and Eastern Europe: are the results sensitive to endogeneity issue omitted dynamics and subjectivity bias?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 611-652.
- Athanasios Anastasiou, 2009. "Central Bank Independence and Economic Performance," Cyprus Economic Policy Review, University of Cyprus, Economics Research Centre, vol. 3(1), pages 123-156, June.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:32:y:2000:i:4:p:807-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.