Talent management and career development: What it takes to get promoted
Based on the talent management literature, this paper investigates managerial skills that are essential for managers’ job promotion. Using arguments from the human and social capital literature and following tournament logic, we claim that a manager's own experience, expertise, and network size positively affect promotion odds, while strong colleagues decrease promotion odds. Studying 7003 promotions to middle management and 3147 promotions to senior management, we find broad support for our hypotheses, but find also that network size no longer predicts promotion to senior management. Our findings have implications for individual career development and talent management programs.
Volume (Year): 49 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Lesca, 2010. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640602, HAL.
- Barry J. Nalebuff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1983. "Prices and Incentives: Towards a General Theory of Compensation and Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 21-43, Spring.
- Farndale, Elaine & Scullion, Hugh & Sparrow, Paul, 2010. "The role of the corporate HR function in global talent management," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 161-168, April.
- Tarique, Ibraiz & Schuler, Randall S., 2010. "Global talent management: Literature review, integrative framework, and suggestions for further research," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 122-133, April.
- Jed DeVaro, 2006.
"Internal promotion competitions in firms,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 521-542, 09.
- Sunil Dutta, 2008. "Managerial Expertise, Private Information, and Pay-Performance Sensitivity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(3), pages 429-442, March.
- Claussen, Jörg & Falck, Oliver & Grohsjean, Thorsten, 2012.
"The strength of direct ties: Evidence from the electronic game industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 223-230.
- Claussen, Jörg & Falck, Oliver & Grohsjean, Thorsten, 2012. "The strength of direct ties: Evidence from the electronic game industry," Munich Reprints in Economics 20067, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Claussen, Jörg & Falck, Oliver & Grohsjean, Thorsten, 2010. "The Strength of Direct Ties: Evidence from the Electronic Game Industry," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 12298, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Claussen, Jörg & Falck, Oliver & Grohsjean, Thorsten, 2010. "The Strength of Direct Ties: Evidence from the Electronic Game Industry," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 11745, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Rank, Olaf N., 2008. "Formal structures and informal networks: Structural analysis in organizations," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 145-161, June.
- Lazear, Edward P & Rosen, Sherwin, 1981.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 841-64, October.
- Melissa A. Schilling & Patricia Vidal & Robert E. Ployhart & Alexandre Marangoni, 2003. "Learning by Doing Something Else: Variation, Relatedness, and the Learning Curve," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(1), pages 39-56, January.
- Hartmann, Evi & Feisel, Edda & Schober, Holger, 2010. "Talent management of western MNCs in China: Balancing global integration and local responsiveness," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 169-178, April.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:521-542 is not listed on IDEAS
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Baker, George & Gibbons, Robert & Murphy, Kevin J, 1999. "Informal Authority in Organizations," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 56-73, April.
- McDonnell, Anthony & Lamare, Ryan & Gunnigle, Patrick & Lavelle, Jonathan, 2010. "Developing tomorrow's leaders--Evidence of global talent management in multinational enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 150-160, April.
- Littlepage, Glenn & Robison, William & Reddington, Kelly, 1997. "Effects of Task Experience and Group Experience on Group Performance, Member Ability, and Recognition of Expertise," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 133-147, February.
- Waldman, Michael, 2013. "Classic promotion tournaments versus market-based tournaments," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 198-210.
- Malcomson, James M, 1984. "Work Incentives, Hierarchy, and Internal Labor Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 486-507, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:49:y:2014:i:2:p:236-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.