The role of the corporate HR function in global talent management
We currently know little of the role of the corporate human resource (HR) function in multinational corporations regarding global talent management (GTM). GTM is explored here from two perspectives: increasing global competition for talent, and new forms of international mobility. The first considers the mechanisms of GTM, and the second, individual willingness to be mobile, especially in emerging markets, and the organizational capability needed to manage this talent. New corporate HR roles are identified which show how these issues might be addressed. We then advance our understanding of GTM theory and practice by considering the major future challenges facing corporate HR.
Volume (Year): 45 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collings, David G. & Scullion, Hugh & Morley, Michael J., 2007. "Changing patterns of global staffing in the multinational enterprise: Challenges to the conventional expatriate assignment and emerging alternatives," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 198-213, June.
- Luthans, Fred & Zhu, Weichun & Avolio, Bruce J., 2006. "The impact of efficacy on work attitudes across cultures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 121-132, June.
- Shenxue Li & Hugh Scullion, 2006. "Bridging the distance: Managing cross-border knowledge holders," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 71-92, March.
- Sparrow, Paul R. & Budhwar, Pawan S., 1997. "Competition and change: Mapping the indian HRM recipe against world-wide patterns," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 224-242, October.
- Shaozhuang Ma & Virginia Trigo, 2008. "Winning the War for Managerial Talent in China: An Empirical Study," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(3), pages 34-57, May.
- Collings, David G. & Morley, Michael J. & Gunnigle, Patrick, 2008. "Composing the top management team in the international subsidiary: Qualitative evidence on international staffing in U.S. MNCs in the Republic of Ireland," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 197-212, March.
- Macey, William H. & Schneider, Benjamin, 2008. "The Meaning of Employee Engagement," Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 3-30, March.
- K Kim & J-H Park & J E Prescott, 2003. "The global integration of business functions: a study of multinational businesses in integrated global industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 327-344, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:45:y:2010:i:2:p:161-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.