The relationship between organizational learning and firms' financial performance in strategic alliances: A contingency approach
This study examines the relationship between organizational learning and firm-level financial performance in the context of strategic alliances. The strength of the relationship is also examined in light of possible moderating effects of the form, scope, and competitive regime of the alliance. On the whole, results from a survey of 127 German partnering firms support a contingency approach to firm performance using structural equation modeling. Results suggest a significant, positive, and strong relationship between organizational learning and financial performance. This positive relationship is stronger in joint ventures and weaker in contractual alliances. Also, the relationship is stronger when the partners are based on the same industry and weaker when they are across industries. However, while it is proposed that the above relationship will be stronger in alliances with broader scope, the empirical results only partially support this hypothesis.
Volume (Year): 43 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ainuddin, R. Azimah & Beamish, Paul W. & Hulland, John S. & Rouse, Michael J., 2007. "Resource attributes and firm performance in international joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 47-60, March.
- Chen, Homin & Chen, Tain-Jy, 2003. "Governance structures in strategic alliances: transaction cost versus resource-based perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Bernard L Simonin, 2004. "An empirical investigation of the process of knowledge transfer in international strategic alliances," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(5), pages 407-427, September.
- Pisano, Gary P, 1989. "Using Equity Participation to Support Exchange: Evidence from the Biotechnology Industry," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 109-26, Spring.
- Jean-François Hennart, 2006. "Alliance Research: Less is More," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(7), pages 1621-1628, November.
- Das, T. K. & Teng, Bing-Sheng, 2003. "Partner analysis and alliance performance," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 279-308, September.
- Oxley, Joanne E, 1997. "Appropriability Hazards and Governance in Strategic Alliances: A Transaction Cost Approach," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 387-409, October.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Wang, Pien & Tong, Tony W. & Koh, Chun Peng, 2004. "An integrated model of knowledge transfer from MNC parent to China subsidiary," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 168-182, May.
- Lei, David & Slocum, John W. & Pitts, Robert A., 1997. "Building cooperative advantage: Managing strategic alliances to promote organizational learning," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 203-223, October.
- Bruton, Garry D. & Lohrke, Franz T. & Lu, Jane W., 2004. "The evolving definition of what comprises international strategic management research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 413-429.
- Berdrow, Iris & Lane, Henry W., 2003. "International joint ventures: creating value through successful knowledge management," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 15-30, February.
- Seung Ho Park & Michael V. Russo, 1996. "When Competition Eclipses Cooperation: An Event History Analysis of Joint Venture Failure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(6), pages 875-890, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:43:y:2008:i:3:p:365-379. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.