An integrated model of knowledge transfer from MNC parent to China subsidiary
Based on an empirical study of 62 firms, this paper develops a two-stage model describing knowledge transfer from MNCs to their China subsidiaries. In the first stage, the model proposes factors affecting the extent of knowledge contributed by an MNC to its China subsidiary. In the second stage, the model proposes factors affecting the extent of knowledge acquired by the China subsidiary from its MNC parent. Knowledge contributed by the parent to the subsidiary is affected by two groups of factors: parent's capacity to transfer knowledge and parent's willingness to transfer knowledge. Holding constant knowledge contributed by the parent, knowledge acquired by the subsidiary from its parent is determined by two groups of factors: subsidiary's capacity to acquire knowledge and subsidiary's intent to acquire knowledge. Implications for future research and management practitioners are discussed.
Volume (Year): 39 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Young & Ping Lan, 1997. "Technology Transfer to China through Foreign Direct Investment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(7), pages 669-679.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Romeo, Anthony, 1980. "Technology Transfer to Overseas Subsidiaries by U.S.-Based Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(4), pages 737-50, December.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Firth, Michael, 1996. "The diffusion of managerial accounting procedures in the People's Republic of China and the influence of foreign partnered joint ventures," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 21(7-8), pages 629-654.
- Marjorie A Lyles & Jane E Salk, 1996. "Knowledge Acquisition from Foreign Parents in International Joint Ventures: An Empirical Examination in the Hungarian Context," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 877-903, December.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Lei, David & Slocum, John W. & Pitts, Robert A., 1997. "Building cooperative advantage: Managing strategic alliances to promote organizational learning," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 203-223, October.
- Marjorie A Lyles & Jane E Salk, 1996. "Knowledge Acquisition from Foreign Parents in International Joint Ventures: An Empirical Examination in the Hungarian Context," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(5), pages 877-903, December.
- Inkpen, Andrew, 1998. "Learning, knowledge acquisition, and strategic alliances," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 223-229, April.
- Björkman, Ingmar & Schapp, Annette, 1994. "Outsiders in the Middle Kingdom: Expatriate managers in Chinese-Western joint ventures," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 147-153, June.
- Teece, David J, 1977. "Technology Transfer by Multinational Firms: The Resource Cost of Transferring Technological Know-how," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 242-61, June.
- Wong, Chi-Sum & Law, Kenneth S., 1999. "Managing localization of human resources in the PRC: a practical model," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 26-40, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:39:y:2004:i:2:p:168-182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.