Developing board strategic capability in sport organisations: The national-regional governing relationship
It is well established that the strategic function is a central role of the non-profit sport board. Little is known, however, about board strategic capability in any context. This study investigated how boards of national sport organisations might develop their strategic capability. "Interpretive" action research focusing on the case of Tennis New Zealand (TNZ) found that the board's strategic role is significantly impacted by its inter-organisational relationships. In particular, the board's ability to enact its strategic priorities could be enhanced by creating a more collaborative partnership with its regional entities and engaging in a power-sharing approach that seeks to develop regional capability.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elaine Sternberg, 1997. "The Defects of Stakeholder Theory," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 3-10, 01.
- repec:eee:spomar:v:9:y:2006:i:3:p:203-228 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philip Stiles, 2001. "The Impact of the Board on Strategy: An Empirical Examination," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(5), pages 627-650, 07.
- repec:eee:spomar:v:8:y:2005:i:2:p:145-165 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nicholas Walt & Coral Ingley, 2003. "Board Dynamics and the Influence of Professional Background, Gender and Ethnic Diversity of Directors," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 218-234, 07.
- C. B. Ingley & N. T. Van der Walt, 2001. "The Strategic Board: the changing role of directors in developing and maintaining corporate capability," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 174-185, 07.
- Christopher Stoney, 2001. "Stakeholding: Confusion or Utopia? Mapping the Conceptual Terrain," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(5), pages 603-626, 07.
- repec:eee:spomar:v:6:y:2003:i:1:p:53-73 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:spomar:v:8:y:2005:i:3:p:195-225 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:spomar:v:9:y:2006:i:2:p:141-163 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard W. Leblanc, 2004. "What's Wrong with Corporate Governance: a note," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 436-441, October.
- repec:eee:spomar:v:2:y:1999:i:2:p:173-192 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:spomar:v:9:y:2006:i:2:p:183-201 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:13:y:2010:i:3:p:235-254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.