Developing board strategic capability in sport organisations: The national-regional governing relationship
It is well established that the strategic function is a central role of the non-profit sport board. Little is known, however, about board strategic capability in any context. This study investigated how boards of national sport organisations might develop their strategic capability. "Interpretive" action research focusing on the case of Tennis New Zealand (TNZ) found that the board's strategic role is significantly impacted by its inter-organisational relationships. In particular, the board's ability to enact its strategic priorities could be enhanced by creating a more collaborative partnership with its regional entities and engaging in a power-sharing approach that seeks to develop regional capability.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Stiles, 2001. "The Impact of the Board on Strategy: An Empirical Examination," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(5), pages 627-650, 07.
- Elaine Sternberg, 1997. "The Defects of Stakeholder Theory," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 3-10, 01.
- Cuskelly, Graham & Taylor, Tracy & Hoye, Russell & Darcy, Simon, 2006. "Volunteer Management Practices and Volunteer Retention: A Human Resource Management Approach," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 141-163, September.
- C. B. Ingley & N. T. Van der Walt, 2001. "The Strategic Board: the changing role of directors in developing and maintaining corporate capability," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 174-185, 07.
- Nicholas Walt & Coral Ingley, 2003. "Board Dynamics and the Influence of Professional Background, Gender and Ethnic Diversity of Directors," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 218-234, 07.
- Skinner, James & Stewart, Bob & Edwards, Allan, 1999. "Amateurism to Professionalism: Modelling Organisational Change in Sporting Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 173-192, November.
- Shaw, Sally & Allen, Justine B., 2006. ""It basically is a fairly loose arrangement ... and that works out fine, really." Analysing the Dynamics of an Interorganisational Partnership," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228, November.
- Christopher Stoney, 2001. "Stakeholding: Confusion or Utopia? Mapping the Conceptual Terrain," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(5), pages 603-626, 07.
- Schulz, John & Auld, Christopher, 2006. "Perceptions of Role Ambiguity by Chairpersons and Executive Directors in Queensland Sporting Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 183-201, September.
- Dickson, Geoff & Arnold, Trevor & Chalip, Laurence, 2005. "League Expansion and Interorganisational Power," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 145-165, September.
- Richard W. Leblanc, 2004. "What's Wrong with Corporate Governance: a note," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 436-441, October.
- Ferkins, Lesley & Shilbury, David & McDonald, Gael, 2005. "The Role of the Board in Building Strategic Capability: Towards an Integrated Model of Sport Governance Research," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 195-225, November.
- Hoye, Russell & Cuskelly, Graham, 2003. "Board-Executive Relationships within Voluntary Sport Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 53-73, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:13:y:2010:i:3:p:235-254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.