Stakeholder influence strategies in bidding for a professional sport franchise license
This paper examines an application for a franchise license in Australia's professional rugby league competition, the National Rugby League (NRL). Frooman's (1999) typology of stakeholder influence strategies is used to analyse the negotiation of resource relationships between a Gold Coast franchise bid team and its key stakeholders. Primary data came from 12 interviews with nine key actors in the bid process; these were buttressed by secondary data. Frooman's typology provided a useful heuristic, but did not fully account for the critical role of firm legitimacy in stakeholders' choice of influence strategies. The bid team negotiated stakeholders' initial direct withholding strategies by creating access to the intangible resource of legitimacy. This subsequently provided access to material resources such as finance, a new stadium, and, ultimately, a franchise license. The findings are of note to practitioners and scholars interested professional sport and stakeholder theory.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickson, Geoff & Arnold, Trevor & Chalip, Laurence, 2005. "League Expansion and Interorganisational Power," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 145-165, September.
- Sparvero, Emily & Chalip, Laurence, 2007. "Professional Teams as Leverageable Assets: Strategic Creation of Community Value," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-30, May.
- Rascher, Daniel & Rascher, Heather, 2004. "NBA Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities," MPRA Paper 25740, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sara L. McGaughey, 2002. "The Global Sports-Media Nexus: Reflections on the 'Super League Saga' in Australia," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 383-416, 05.
- Mules, Trevor, 1998. "Taxpayer Subsidies for Major Sporting Events," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 25-43, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:13:y:2010:i:3:p:255-268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.