Does access to information technology make people happier? Insights from well-being surveys from around the world
We explore the relationship between access to cell phones, TV, and the internet and subjective well-being worldwide, using pooled cross-sectional data from the Gallup World Poll for 2009–2011. We find that technology access is positive for well-being in general, but with diminishing marginal returns for those who already have much access. Moreover, we find signs of increased stress and anger among cohorts for whom access to the technologies is new. We also explore whether increased financial inclusion – through cell phones and mobile banking – has additional effects on well-being in Sub-Saharan Africa. We show that well-being levels are higher in the countries with higher levels of access to mobile banking, but so are stress and anger. Our findings are in line with earlier research, which shows that while development raises aggregate levels of well-being in the long run, high levels of frustration often accompany the process.
Volume (Year): 44 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Dolan & Georgios Kavetsos, 2016.
"Happy Talk: Mode of Administration Effects on Subjective Well-Being,"
Journal of Happiness Studies,
Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 1273-1291, June.
- Paul Dolan & Georgios Kavetsos, 2012. "Happy Talk: Mode of Administration Effects on Subjective Well-Being," CEP Discussion Papers dp1159, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Paul Dolan & Georgios Kavetsos, 2012. "Happy talk: mode of administration effects on subjective well-being," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 45273, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Paul Dolan & Georgios Kavetsos, 2016. "Happy talk: mode of administration effects on subjective well-being," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 66915, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Isaac Mbiti & David N. Weil, 2011.
"Mobile Banking: The Impact of M-Pesa in Kenya,"
2011-13, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Albert O. Hirschman & Michael Rothschild, 1973. "The Changing Tolerance for Income Inequality in the Course of Economic DevelopmentWith A Mathematical Appendix," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(4), pages 544-566.
- Jenny C. Aker & Isaac M. Mbiti, 2010.
"Mobile Phones and Economic Development in Africa,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 207-32, Summer.
- Dolan, Paul & Metcalfe, Robert, 2012. "The relationship between innovation and subjective wellbeing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1489-1498.
- Bruno S. Frey & Christine Benesch & Alois Stutzer, .
"Does watching TV make us happy?,"
IEW - Working Papers
241, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Robert E. Litan & Alice M. Rivlin, 2001.
"Projecting the Economic Impact of the Internet,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 313-317, May.
- Labonne, Julien & Chase, Robert S., 2009. "The power of information : the impact of mobile phones on farmers'welfare in the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4996, The World Bank.
- Christine Benesch & Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, 2006.
"TV Channels, Self Control and Happiness,"
2006/05, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Nina Czernich & Oliver Falck & Tobias Kretschmer & Ludger Woessmann, 2011.
"Broadband Infrastructure and Economic Growth,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 505-532, 05.
- Nina Czernich & Oliver Falck & Tobias Kretschmer & Ludger Woessmann, 2009. "Broadband Infrastructure and Economic Growth," CESifo Working Paper Series 2861, CESifo Group Munich.
- Czernich, Nina & Falck, Oliver & Kretschmer, Tobias & Wößmann, Ludger, 2011. "Broadband Infrastructure and Economic Growth," Munich Reprints in Economics 20033, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- C. Graham & S. Pettinato, 2002. "Frustrated Achievers: Winners, Losers and Subjective Well-Being in New Market Economies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(4), pages 100-140.
- Kavetsos, Georgios & Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2011. "Technological affluence and subjective well-being," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 742-753.
- Daniel Kahneman & Alan B. Krueger, 2006. "Developments in the Measurement of Subjective Well-Being," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 3-24, Winter.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Klapper, Leora, 2012. "Measuring financial inclusion : the Global Findex Database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6025, The World Bank.
- Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2009. "The economic impact of broadband on growth: A simultaneous approach," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 471-485, October.
- Choi, Changkyu & Hoon Yi, Myung, 2009. "The effect of the Internet on economic growth: Evidence from cross-country panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 39-41, October.
- Muto, Megumi & Yamano, Takashi, 2009. "The Impact of Mobile Phone Coverage Expansion on Market Participation: Panel Data Evidence from Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1887-1896, December.
- Carol Graham, 2005. "Insights on Development from the Economics of Happiness," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 201-231.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:44:y:2013:i:c:p:126-139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.