Socioeconomic determinants of the need for personal assistance reported by community-dwelling elderly: Empirical evidence from a French national health survey
A bivariate probit model with sample selection is used to estimate the conditional probability of reporting a need for personal assistance (NPA) with at least one activity of daily living among French community-dwelling elderly. 71.8% of men and 77.3% of women reported impairments and among those who reported impairments, 7.5% of men and 10.8% of women reported NPA. NPA is associated not only with age (i.e., the oldest individuals, for women only) and health status (such as a specific type of impairment), but also with socioeconomic (living with intermediate income; living with someone, partner or other) and environmental factors (having and using assistive technologies).
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Boer, Angela G. E. M. & Wijker, Wouter & de Haes, Hanneke C. J. M., 1997. "Predictors of health care utilization in the chronically ill: a review of the literature," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 101-115, November.
- Peter Zweifel & Stefan Felder & Andreas Werblow, 2004.
"Population Ageing and Health Care Expenditure: New Evidence on the “Red Herring”,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(4), pages 652-666, October.
- Peter Zweifel & Stefan Felder & Andreas Werblow, 2004. "Population Ageing and Health Care Expenditure: New Evidence on the "Red Herring"," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 652-666, October.
- Vicki Freedman & Eileen Crimmins & Robert Schoeni & Brenda Spillman & Hakan Aykan & Ellen Kramarow & Kenneth Land & James Lubitz & Kenneth Manton & Linda Martin & Diane Shinberg & Timothy Waidmann, 2004. "Resolving inconsistencies in trends in old-age disability: Report from a technical working group," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 41(3), pages 417-441, August.
- Norton, Edward C., 2000. "Long-term care," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 955-994 Elsevier.
- Hoerger, Thomas J & Picone, Gabriel A & Sloan, Frank A, 1996.
"Public Subsidies, Private Provision of Care and Living Arrangements of the Elderly,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 428-40, August.
- Hoerger, Thomas J. & Picone, Gabriel & Sloan, Frank, 1995. "Public Subsidies, Private Provision of Care, and Living Arrangements of the Elderly," Working Papers 95-22, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ziliak, Stephen T. & McCloskey, Deirdre N., 2004. "Size matters: the standard error of regressions in the American Economic Review," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 527-546, November.
- Calsyn, Robert J. & Winter, Joel P., 2001. "Predicting four types of service needs in older adults," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 157-166, May.
- Stuck, Andreas E. & Walthert, Jutta M. & Nikolaus, Thorsten & Büla, Christophe J. & Hohmann, Christoph & Beck, John C., 1999. "Risk factors for functional status decline in community-living elderly people: a systematic literature review," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 445-469, February.
- Keskimäki, Ilmo & Salinto, Marjo & Aro, Seppo, 1995. "Socioeconomic equity in finnish hospital care in relation to need," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 425-431, August.
- Pascual, Marta & Cantarero, David, 2007. "Socio-demographic determinants of disabled people: An empirical approach based on the European Community Household Panel," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 275-287, April.
- McClements, L. D., 1977. "Equivalence scales for children," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 191-210, October.
- von Weizsacker, Robert K., 1996. "Distributive implications of an aging society," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 729-746, April.
- Christofides, Louis N. & Stengos, Thanasis & Swidinsky, Robert, 1997. "On the calculation of marginal effects in the bivariate probit model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 203-208, July.
- Yount, Kathryn M. & Agree, Emily M. & Rebellon, Cesar, 2004. "Gender and use of health care among older adults in Egypt and Tunisia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(12), pages 2479-2497, December.
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
- Oecd, 2006. "Projecting OECD Health and Long-Term Care Expenditures: What Are the Main Drivers?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 477, OECD Publishing.
- Reynolds, Sandra L. & Silverstein, Merril, 2003. "Observing the onset of disability in older adults," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(10), pages 1875-1889, November.
- Stephen T. Ziliak & Deirdre N. McCloskey, 2004. "Size Matters: The Standard Error of Regressions in the American Economic Review," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 1(2), pages 331-358, August.
- Huisman, Martijn & Kunst, Anton E. & Mackenbach, Johan P., 2003. "Socioeconomic inequalities in morbidity among the elderly; a European overview," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 861-873, September.
- Kathryn Yount & Emily Agree, 2005. "Differences in disability among older women and men in Egypt and Tunisia," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 42(1), pages 169-187, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:38:y:2009:i:1:p:138-146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.