Discrete choice models and optimal two-part tariffs in the presence of externalities: optimal taxation of cars
The purpose of this paper is to analyse optimal two-part tariffs in the presence of externalities within the framework of a model of discrete choice. The prototype application of the model is optimal taxation of car ownership and car use to correct for external costs. The externality we consider is allowed to cause feedback effects on demand and ownership shares and, therefore, on tax revenues. It is found that only the feedback effect of the externality on ownership shares is important in determining the optimal tax structure. When external costs differ between car types, it is shown that the role of fixed taxes crucially depends on the available variable tax instruments; various restrictions on variable tax instruments are analysed. We also study the implications of heterogeneity and distributive concerns for the optimal taxation of externalities via user and ownership taxes. We identify the specific role of the distribution of ownership and of conditional demands as well as the distributive impact of the externality itself.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Small, Kenneth A., 1983. "The incidence of congestion tolls on urban highways," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 90-111, January.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1992.
"Environmental Policy, Public Finance and the Labour Market in a Second-best World,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
745, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bovenberg, A. L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1994. "Environmental policy, public finance and the labour market in a second-best world," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 349-390, November.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1992. "Environmental policy, public finance and the labour market in a second-best world," Discussion Paper 1992-43, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Van Der Ploeg, F., 1992. "Environmental Policy, Public Finance and the Labour Market in a Second- Best World," Papers 9243, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Lave, Charles, 1994. "The Demand Curve Under Road Pricing and the Problem of Political Feasibility," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt5165m7jr, University of California Transportation Center.
- Diamond, P. A., 1975.
"A many-person Ramsey tax rule,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-342, November.
- Stephen C. Littlechild, 1975. "Two-Park Tariffs and Consumption Externalities," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 661-670, Autumn.
- Harvey S. Rosen & Kenneth A. Small, 1979.
"Applied Welfare Economics with Discrete Choice Models,"
NBER Working Papers
0319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Small, Kenneth A & Rosen, Harvey S, 1981. "Applied Welfare Economics with Discrete Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 105-30, January.
- S. Proost & D. Regemorter, 1995. "The double dividend and the role of inequality aversion and macroeconomic regimes," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 2(2), pages 207-219, August.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1980.
"Monopolistic two-part pricing arrangements,"
1105-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Glazer, Amihai & Niskanen, Esko, 1992.
"Parking fees and congestion,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 123-132, March.
- Glazer, Amihai & Niskanen, Esko, 2001. "Parking fees and congestion," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt9h51t02k, University of California Transportation Center.
- De Borger, Bruno, 2000.
"Optimal two-part tariffs in a model of discrete choice,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 127-150, April.
- DE BORGER; Bruno, . "Optimal two-part tariffs in a model of discrete choice," Working Papers 1999005, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Parry, Ian W H & Bento, Antonio, 2001.
" Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 645-71, December.
- Parry, Ian & Bento, Antonio, 1999. "Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing," Discussion Papers dp-99-45, Resources For the Future.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Bento, Antonio Miguel R., 1999. "Revenue recycling and the welfare effects of road pricing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2253, The World Bank.
- De Borger, Bruno, 1997. "Public pricing of final and intermediate goods in the presence of externalities," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 765-781, December.
- Kraus, Marvin, 1989. "The welfare gains from pricing road congestion using automatic vehicle identification and on-vehicle meters," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 261-281, May.
- Glaister, Stephen & Lewis, Davis, 1978. "An integrated fares policy for transport in London," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 341-355, June.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1993. "A Structural Model of Peak-Period Congestion: A Traffic Bottleneck with Elastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 161-79, March.
- Lave, Charles, 1994. "The demand curve under road pricing and the problem of political feasibility," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 83-91, March.
- Yew-Kwang Ng & Mendel Weisser, 1974. "Optimal Pricing with a Budget Constraint—The Case of the Two-part Tariff," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(3), pages 337-345.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:31:y:2001:i:4:p:471-504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.