Strategic accessibility competition
We analyze the effect of competition in market-accessibility enhancement among quality-differentiated firms. Firms are located in regions with different ex-ante transport costs to reach the final market. We characterize the equilibrium of the two-stage game in which firms first invest to improve market accessibility and then compete in prices. Efforts in accessibility improvement crucially depend on the interplay between the willingness to pay for the quality premium of the median consumer and the ex-ante difference in accessibility between regions. From the social standpoint, also the accessibility investment depends on such a comparison. Finally, we endogenize quality choice and check the robustness of the result to some natural modifications of our assumptions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Sridhar Moorthy, 1988. "Product and Price Competition in a Duopoly," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 141-168.
- Bandulet Martin & Morasch Karl, 2003. "Incentives to Invest in Transport Cost Reduction - Conceptual Issues and an Application to Electronic Commerce," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, December.
- Thisse, J.-F & Wildasin, D. E., .
"Optimal transportation policy with strategic locational choice,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1172, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Wildasin, David E., 1995. "Optimal transportation policy with strategic locational choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 395-410, August.
- Thisse, Jacques-François & Wildasin, David, 1994. "Optimal Transportation Policy with Strategic Locational Choice," CEPR Discussion Papers 933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bouckaert, Jan, 2000.
"Monopolistic competition with a mail order business,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 303-310, March.
- Bouckaert, J., 1995. "Momopolistic Competition with a Mail Order Business," Papers 9562, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009.
"Price and quality in spatial competition,"
NIPE Working Papers
21/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Baldwin, Richard & Harrigan, James, 2007.
"Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2011. "Zeros, Quality, and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 60-88, May.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2007. "Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," NBER Working Papers 13214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007.
"Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition,"
2007-06, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008. "Specialization across varieties and North-South competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- Gabszewicz, J. & Turrini, A., 2000.
"Workers' skills, product quality and industry equilibrium,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 575-593, May.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & TURRINI, Alessandro, 1997. "Workers’ skills, product quality and industry equilibrium," CORE Discussion Papers 1997055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & TURRINI, Alessandro, . "Workers' skills, product quality and industry equilibrium," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1451, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. Colombo & L. Lambertini & A. Mantovani, 2003.
"Endogenous Transportation Technology in a Cournot Differential Game with Intraindustry Trade,"
479, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Colombo, Luca & Lambertini, Luca & Mantovani, Andrea, 2009. "Endogenous transportation technology in a Cournot differential game with intraindustry trade," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 133-139, March.
- Gene M. Grossman (ed.), 1992. "Imperfect Competition and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262570939, June.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991.
"Location Models of Horizontal Differentiation: A Special Case of Vertical Differentiation Models,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 383-90, June.
- CREMER, Helmuth & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Location models of horizontal differentiation: a special case of vertical differentiation models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -931, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lambertini, Luca & Rossini, Gianpaolo, 2006.
"Investment in transport and communication technology in a Cournot duopoly with trade,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 221-229, March.
- L. Lambertini & G. Rossini, 2001. "Investment in transport and communication technology in a cournot duopoly with trade," Working Papers 407, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Kamal Saggi & Nese Sara, 2008. "National Treatment At The Wto: The Roles Of Product And Country Heterogeneity," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1365-1394, November.
- Emanuele Bacchiega, 2007.
"Wage bargaining and vertical differentiation,"
International Review of Economics,
Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 35-52, March.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan, 2001. "Information Gatekeepers on the Internet and the Competitiveness of Homogeneous Product Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 454-474, June.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima & Giorgos Stamatopoulos, 2010. "Location equilibrium with asymmetric firms: the role of licensing," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 267-276, April.
- Claudio Piga & Joanna Poyago-Theotoky, 2003.
"Endogenous R&D Spillovers and Locational Choice,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
0310, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Stefano Colombo, 2010. "Tax effects on equilibrium locations," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 101(3), pages 267-275, November.
- Hiroshi Aiura, 2007. "Wholesale Price Discrimination between High Street Retailers and Online Retailers," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(31), pages 1-8.
- Dongsheng Zhou & Barbara J. Spencer & Ilan Vertinsky, 2000.
"Strategic Trade Policy with Endogenous Choice of Quality and Asymmetric Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
7536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhou, Dongsheng & Spencer, Barbara J. & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2002. "Strategic trade policy with endogenous choice of quality and asymmetric costs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 205-232, January.
- F. Javier Casado-Izaga, 2000. "Location decisions: The role of uncertainty about consumer tastes," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 31-46, February.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:31:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:66:y:2012:i:2:p:195-212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.