Optimal Transportation Policy with Strategic Locational Choice
This paper presents a model of strategic locational choice by duopolistic firms in an urban area where consumer locations are endogenous and where a public facility is exogenously fixed. A welfare analysis taking their strategic behaviour into account is conducted. It is shown that the firms' equilibrium locations often differ from the optimal locations which, in contrast to standard location theory, are not at the quartiles of the urban area. Corrective transportation taxes or subsidies can be used to support an optimal locational structure. Changes in transportation costs require unit-for-unit offsetting changes in transportation taxes or subsidies.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1993.
"Oligopoly and the polarization of space,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 299-307, April.
- THISSE, Jacques & WILDASIN, David, 1990.
"Public facility location and urban spatial structure. Equilibrium and welfare analysis,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1990025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Wildasin, David E., 1992. "Public facility location and urban spatial structure : Equilibrium and welfare analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 83-118, June.
- FUJITA, Masahisa & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Spatial competition with a land market: Hotelling and Von Thunen unified,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-744, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1986. "Spatial Competition with a Land Market: Hotelling and Von Thunen Unified," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 819-41, October.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1980. "Theories of urban externalities," MPRA Paper 24614, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521346627 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991.
"Spatial duopoly and residential structure,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-47, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:933. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.