Urban Public Facility Location, Multipurpose Trips and Spatial Competition: equilibrium and welfare analysis
We study the impact of the urban location of one single public facility on spatial competition ` la Hotelling. If transportation costs are very low compared to the value of the public service then both firms tacitly choose the facility location without moderation of price competition, in contrast to mainstream results in the literature. In this event, minimum differentiation is efficient. For intermediate values of the relative transportation rate, inefficient partially-dispersed equilibria emerge with one firm at the facility site while its competitor locates at one end of the linear city. We also analyze the welfare impacts of changes, successively, in the facility location and the transportation rate, taking into account firms relocations.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 21 3801638
Fax: (351) 21 3870933
Web page: http://www.fe.unl.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Wildasin, David E., 1995.
"Optimal transportation policy with strategic locational choice,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 395-410, August.
- Thisse, Jacques-François & Wildasin, David, 1994. "Optimal Transportation Policy with Strategic Locational Choice," CEPR Discussion Papers 933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Linnemer, Laurent, 2000. "Intermodal competition and regional inequalities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 131-184, March.
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Wildasin, David E., 1992.
"Public facility location and urban spatial structure : Equilibrium and welfare analysis,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 83-118, June.
- THISSE, Jacques & WILDASIN, David, 1990. "Public facility location and urban spatial structure. Equilibrium and welfare analysis," CORE Discussion Papers 1990025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lambertini, Luca, 1997. "Unicity of the equilibrium in the unconstrained Hotelling model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 785-798, November.
- Revelle, Charles, 1987. "Urban public facility location," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 27, pages 1053-1096 Elsevier.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1995. "Asymmetric equilibria in spatial competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 213-227.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unl:unlfep:wp400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Story)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.