Existence of equilibrium in a differential game of spatial competition with advertising
We investigate a differential duopoly game with horizontal product differentiation and advertising efforts aimed at increasing market demand, to show that the standard approach to spatial competition fails to produce a pure-strategy price equilibrium in a dynamic game framework. This holds independently of the shape of the transportation cost function. Then, we introduce an endogenous cost associated with the choice of location and characterise the feedback equilibrium, identifying the necessary and sufficient condition for the existence of the pure-strategy (stationary) price equilibrium. The same condition is singled out for the static game where consumer population is constant. Finally, we show that the static game cannot be viewed as a special case of the dynamic one.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Novshek, William, 1980. "Equilibrium in simple spatial (or differentiated product) models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 313-326, April.
- Gustav Feichtinger & Richard F. Hartl & Suresh P. Sethi, 1994. "Dynamic Optimal Control Models in Advertising: Recent Developments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(2), pages 195-226, February.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1991.
"Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1057-1067, July.
- de Palma, A, et al, 1985.
"The Principle of Minimum Differentiation Holds under Sufficient Heterogeneity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 767-81, July.
- Victor Ginsburgh & André De Palma & Yorgo Papageorgiou & Jacques-François Thisse, 1999. "The principle of minimum differentiation holds under sufficient heterogeneity," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/3319, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh & André De Palma & Yorgo Papageorgiou & Jacques-François Thisse, 1985. "The principle of minimum differentiation holds under sufficient heterogeneity," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1759, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh & André De Palma & Yorgo Papageorgiou & Jacques-François Thisse, 1995. "The principle of minimum differentiation holds under sufficient heterogeneity," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/3317, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh & André De Palma & Yorgo Papageorgiou & Jacques Thisse, 1985. "The principle of Minimum Differentiation Holds under Sufficient Heterogeneity," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/151087, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Konrad Stahl, 1982. "Location and Spatial Pricing Theory with Nonconvex Transportation Cost Schedules," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 575-582, Autumn.
- Bester, Helmut & Petrakis, Emmanuel, 1995. "Price competition and advertising in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1075-1088, June.
- Lambertini, Luca, 1997. "Unicity of the equilibrium in the unconstrained Hotelling model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 785-798, November.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Goeree, Jacob K. & Ramer, Roald, 1997. "Location, Location, Location," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 102-127, November.
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990.
"Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
937, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991. "Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 25-59, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521335522 is not listed on IDEAS
- Grossman, Gene M & Shapiro, Carl, 1984. "Informative Advertising with Differentiated Products," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 63-81, January.
- Luca Lambertini, 1994.
"Optimal Fiscal Regime in a Spatial Duopoly,"
205, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Meurer, Michael & Stahl, Dale II, 1994. "Informative advertising and product match," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Nils-Henrik M. von der Fehr & Kristin Stevik, 1998.
"Persuasive Advertising and Product Differentiation,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 113-126, July.
- Von der Fehr, N.H.M. & Stevik, K., 1996. "Persuasive Advertising and Product Differentiation," Memorandum 01/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521637329 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anderson, S., 1986.
"Spatial competition and price leadership,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1986002, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521335263 is not listed on IDEAS
- Economides, Nicholas, 1986. "Minimal and maximal product differentiation in Hotelling's duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 67-71.
- Neven, Damien J., 1986. "On Hotelling's competition with non-uniform customer distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 121-126.
- Fershtman, Chaim, 1984. "Goodwill and Market Shares in Oligopoly," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(23), pages 271-81, August.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1995. "Asymmetric equilibria in spatial competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 213-227.
- Kohlberg, Elon & Novshek, William, 1982. "Equilibrium in a simple price-location model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-15.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:40:y:2010:i:2-3:p:155-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.