The supply of education quality in a spatial model with asymmetric moving costs
The paper analyses the characteristics of the supply of higher education in different geographical macroareas using a strategic interaction framework. It focuses on universities operating in centralised funding system that autonomously set the quality of education showing that in equilibrium it is inversely related to students' moving costs across areas. We show that in the presence of asymmetric information about workers' ability and asymmetric costs of moving, the only PBE consistent with forward induction involves that only high ability workers acquire education and the quality of education is lower in macroareas where the moving costs are higher. Our model predicts that in economies with centralised university funding, educational policies must be regulated according to the specific socioeconomic characteristics of the area. Direct subsidies to universities may be ineffective in improving the quality of education in the less developed areas. When regional disparities are not too big, efficiency gains may be obtained by reducing moving costs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- In-Koo Cho & David M. Kreps, 1997.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
896, David K. Levine.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:119:y:2004:i:3:p:929-969 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrizia Ordine & Giuseppe Rose, 2007. "Students' Mobility and Regional Disparities in Quality and Returns to Education in Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 66(2), pages 149-176, July.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Kemnitz, Alexander, 2003.
"Funding, Competition and Quality in Higher Education,"
610, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Alexander Kemnitz, 2004. "Funding, Competition And Quality In Higher Education," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 130, Royal Economic Society.
- Nilssen, T., 1996.
"Sequential Location when Transportation Costs Are Asymmetric,"
36/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nilssen, Tore, 1997. "Sequential location when transportation costs are asymmetric," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 191-201, February.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2008.
"The labour market effects of Alma Mater: Evidence from Italy,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 564-574, October.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2005. "The Labour Market Effects of Alma Mater: Evidence from Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 1562, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giorgio Brunello & ?Lorenzo Cappellari, 2007. "The Labour Market Effects of Alma Mater: Evidence from Italy," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0040, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Giorgio Brunello & Lorenzo Cappellari, 2005. "The Labour Market Effects of Alma Mater: Evidence from Italy," CHILD Working Papers wp05_05, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- De Fraja, Gianni & Iossa, Elisabetta, 2002. "Competition among Universities and the Emergence of the Elite Institution," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 275-93, July.
- Guiso, Luigi & Pistaferri, Luigi & Schivardi, Fabiano, 2006.
"Labour Adjustment: Disentangling Firing and Mobility Costs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5787, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Luigi Pistaferri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2007. "Labor Adjustment: Disentangling Firing and Mobility Costs," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/44, European University Institute.
- Gordon C. Winston, 1999. "Subsidies, Hierarchy and Peers: The Awkward Economics of Higher Education," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 13-36, Winter.
- Daron Acemoglu & Davide Ticchi & Andrea Vindigni, 2007.
"Emergence and Persistence of Inefficient States,"
0705, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2007.
- Daron Agemoglu & Davide Ticchi & Andrea Vindigni, 2006. "Emergence and Persistence of Inefficient States," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 54, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Daron Acemoglu & Davide Ticchi & Andrea Vindigni, 2007. "Emergence and Persistence of Inefficient States," Working Papers 0707, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2007.
- Daron Acemoglu & Davide Ticchi & Andrea Vindigni, 2006. "Emergence and Persistence of Inefficient States," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 34, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Daron Acemoglu & Davide Ticchi & Andrea Vindigni, 2006. "Emergence and Persistence of Inefficient States," NBER Working Papers 12748, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, D. & Ticchi, D. & Vindigni, A., 2006. "Emergence and Persistence of Inefficient States," Papers 12-02-2006, Princeton University, Research Program in Political Economy.
- Alberto Alesina & Paola Giuliano, 2010.
"The power of the family,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 93-125, June.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1997. "Training and Innovation in an Imperfect Labour Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 445-64, July.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2002.
"Does Local Financial Development Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
8923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrizia Ordine & Giuseppe Rose, 2008. "Local Banks Efficiency and Employment," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(3), pages 469-493, 09.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:87:y:1973:i:3:p:355-74 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kohlberg, Elon & Mertens, Jean-Francois, 1986.
"On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1003-37, September.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-FranÃ§ois, . "On the strategic stability of equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP 716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Kohlberg & J.-F. Mertens, 1998. "On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria," Levine's Working Paper Archive 445, David K. Levine.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- John C Harsanyi, 1997. "Games with incomplete information played by "bayesian" players," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1175, David K. Levine.
- Rothschild, Michael & White, Lawrence J, 1995. "The Analytics of the Pricing of Higher Education and Other Services in Which the Customers Are Inputs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 573-86, June.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:62:y:2008:i:4:p:197-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.