Capital gains taxation and residential mobility in Sweden
Theoretical studies have shown that capital gains taxes in the housing market may create lock-in effects but so far no empirical evidence has been presented regarding the size of these effects. For a panel of Swedish house owners in 1984-1990, we show that lock-in effects only appear for households with income reductions; the size of these lock-in effects crucially depends on the magnitude of the income loss. The theoretical model and features of the Swedish tax system imply that lock-in effects depend on the degree of mismatch in the current residence and whether the households buy up or by down.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Quigley, John M., 1979. "The dynamics of the housing market: A stock adjustment model of housing consumption," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 90-111, January.
- Lundborg, Per & Skedinger, Per, 1995. "Taxation in a Search Model of the Housing Market," Working Paper Series 431, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Wheaton, William C, 1990. "Vacancy, Search, and Prices in a Housing Market Matching Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1270-92, December.
- Nakagami, Yasuhiro & Pereira, Alfredo M, 1995. "Inflation, Housing Taxation, and Homeowner Uptrading," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 50(3), pages 442-69.
- Edin, P.A. & Englund, P., 1989.
"Moving Cost And Housing Demand: Are Recent Movers Really In Equilibrium?,"
1989d, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Englund, Peter, 1991. "Moving costs and housing demand : Are recent movers really in equilibrium?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 299-320, April.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Pollakowski, Henry O., 1990. "Estimating housing consumption adjustments from panel data," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 131-150, March.
- Lundborg, Per & Skedinger, Per, 1999. "Transaction Taxes in a Search Model of the Housing Market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 385-399, March.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel, 1990. "Panel data analysis of housing choices," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 65-82, June.
- Englund, Peter, 1986. "Transaction costs, capital-gains taxes, and housing demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 274-290, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:67:y:1998:i:3:p:399-419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.