Taxation of capital gains on owner-occupied homes
The paper compares taxation on realization with taxation on accrual in the context of owner-occupied housing. It considers a model where the utility a household derives from housing relative to other consumption varies over the life-cycle. As there are sizeable transaction costs, housing consumption will not, even in the absence of taxes, be adjusted continuously but at discrete intervals. The focus of the paper is on tax effects on the length of these intervals. The following results are shown:uTaxing ‘true economic appreciation’ at the same rate as imputed rental income and other capital income will lead to a shortening of the intervals.If the capital gains are taxed on accrual, an increase in this tax rate holding other rates constant will lead to a shortening of the intervals.If the capital gains are taxed only as they are realized, an increase in this tax rate holding other rates constant may either lead to a lengthening or a shortening of the holding period. Shortening is more likely if transaction costs are large, whereas lengthening will occur if the rate of price increase is high.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, P. A., 1975.
"Inflation and the comprehensive tax base,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 227-244, August.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1980.
"The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 94(4), pages 777-791.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1981. "The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains," NBER Working Papers 0250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Green, Jerry R & Sheshinski, Eytan, 1978.
"Optimal Capital-Gains Taxation under Limited Information,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1143-58, December.
- Green, Jerry & Sheshinski, Eytan, 1978. "Optimal Capital-Gains Taxation Under Limited Information," Scholarly Articles 3210340, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
- Daniel J. Kovenock & Michael Rothschild, 1981.
"Capital Gains Taxation in an Economy with an "Austrian Sector","
NBER Working Papers
0758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kovenock, Daniel J. & Rothschild, Michael, 1983. "Capital gains taxation in an economy with an `Austrian sector'," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 215-256, July.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1983.
"Some aspects of the taxation of capital gains,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 257-294, July.
- Feldstein, Martin & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1978. "The effects of the capital gains tax on the selling and switching of common stock," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 17-36, February.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1976. "Economics of Forestry in an Evolving Society," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(4), pages 466-92, December.
- Lippman, Steven A. & McCall, John J., 1981. "Progressive taxation in sequential decisionmaking : Deterministic and stochastic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 35-52, August.
- Bo Sandelin, 1981. "Price Behavior and Capital Gains on Residential Real Estate: The Case of Sweden," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 9(3), pages 241-264.
- J. S. Flemming, 1969. "The Utility of Wealth and the Utility of Windfalls," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 55-66.
- Artle, Roland & Varaiya, Pravin, 1978. "Life cycle consumption and homeownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-58, June.
- Eytan Sheshinski & Yoram Weiss, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eecrev:v:27:y:1985:i:3:p:311-334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.