Interregional migration and housing structure in an East European transition country: A view of Lithuania 2001-2008
This paper explores the relationship between interregional mobility at the municipal level and the local housing structure in a country where the housing sector is characterised by a relatively high private ownership rate, a small private rental sector, and persistent undersupply of new residential housing. Panel data for Lithuania – an East European transition country – for the years 2001-2008 are used to analyse internal migration inflows and outflows. Besides the usual migration determinants such as unemployment and wage differences, housing sector characteristics are also included in the empirical analysis. The results show that internal migration flows are quite responsive to variations in housing market characteristics, especially to the supply of new dwellings, indicating that housing shortage is the key factor hampering interregional migration.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Strelnieku iela 4a, Riga, LV-1010|
Phone: +371 67039320
Fax: +371 67039318
Web page: http://www.biceps.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dohmen, Thomas J., 2005.
"Housing, mobility and unemployment,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 305-325, May.
- Arno J. van der Vlist & Cees Gorter & Peter Nijkamp & Piet Rietveld, 2002.
"Residential Mobility and Local Housing Market Differences,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-003/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Arno J van der Vlist & Cees Gorter & Peter Nijkamp & Piet Rietveld, 2002. "Residential mobility and local housing-market differences," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(7), pages 1147-1164, July.
- Andrienko, Yuri & Guriev, Sergei, 2003.
"Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003. "Determinants of interregional mobility in Russia: evidence from panel data," Working Papers w0027, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003. "Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 551, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Henley, Andrew, 1998. "Residential Mobility, Housing Equity and the Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 414-27, March.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:37:i:4:p:425-436 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zsombor Cseres-Gergely, 2005.
"County to county migration and labour market conditions in Hungary between 1994 and 2002,"
Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market
0506, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Cseres-Gergely, Zsombor, 2004. "County to county migration and labour market conditions in Hungary between 1994 and 2002," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 37(4), pages 425-436.
- Munch, Jakob R. & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2003.
"Are Home Owners Really More Unemployed?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
872, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Svarer & Michael Rosholm & Jacob Roland Munch, 2003. "Are Home Owners Really more Unemployed?," CAM Working Papers 2003-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Munch, Jakob Roland & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, . "Are Home Owners Really More Unemployed?," Economics Working Papers 2003-15, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Kari Hämäläinen & Petri Böckerman, 2004.
"Regional Labor Market Dynamics, Housing, and Migration,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 543-568.
- Kari Hämäläinen & Petri Böckerman, 2002. "Regional Labour Market Dynamics, Housing and Migration," Discussion Papers 284, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Lundborg, Per & Skedinger, Per, 1995.
"Capital Gains Taxation and Residential Mobility in Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
446, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lundborg, Per & Skedinger, Per, 1998. "Capital gains taxation and residential mobility in Sweden," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 399-419, March.
- Dietz, Robert D. & Haurin, Donald R., 2003. "The social and private micro-level consequences of homeownership," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 401-450, November.
- Oswald Andrew J., 1996. "A Conjecture on the Explanation for High Unemployment in the Industrialized Nations : Part I," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 475, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jan Fidrmuc & Peter Huber, 2007.
"The Willingness to Migrate in the CEECs. Evidence from the Czech Republic,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Jan Fidrmuc & Peter Huber, 2007. "The willingness to migrate in the CEECs evidence from the Czech Republic," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 351-369, September.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1999. "Report No. 3: Assessment of Possible Migration Pressure and its Labour Market Impact Following EU Enlargement to Central and Eastern Europe," IZA Research Reports 3, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mihails Hazans, 2003.
"Determinants of Inter-Regional Migration in the Baltic Countries,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p354, European Regional Science Association.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2003. "Determinants of inter-regional migration in the Baltic countries," ZEI Working Papers B 17-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bic:journl:v:9:y:2009:i:2:p:47-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lelde Jakobsone)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.